No remote management of IIS on Server Core

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have three VMs running on a Server 2022 Hyper-V host: Windows 11 for management, Server 2022 as a domain controller and Server 2022 Core for Exchange 2019. On the DC I installed the optional feature "IIS Management" and downloaded and installed "IIS Manager for Remote Administration 1.2". Access to IIS on Exchange server works without problem. But if I do the same on the Windows 11 VM, I get an error message when trying to connect: An unexpected error occurred, connection was reset. I have tried the following without success:

1. use host name or FQDN of the mail server
2. use IP address of the mail server
3. use ports 80 and 443 (e.g. mailhost:443)
4. complete shutdown of all firewall profiles on both the Windows 11 client and the mail server

The mail server's certificate is the original self-signed certificate that is created when Exchange/IIS is installed - I would expect to be asked about the trustworthiness of the certificate, but apparently the connection fails even before the SSL handshake.

All four machines are domain members, name resolution and ping work fine. The Windows and IIS logs contain no clues. Several hours of web research have not yet yielded any results.

Does anyone have an idea / a starting point?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Stefano

0 Replies