SOLVED

Smartscreen not working after Update to 103.0.1264.49

Copper Contributor

Hello,

after I upgraded from 102.0.1245.41 to 103.0.1264.49, Smartscreen doesn't work anymore and downloads are displayed after about 20 seconds.

With 103.X no warnings are shown at https://demo.smartscreen.msft.net, but with 102.X I get some. The error also occurs in Beta (104.0.1293.25) and Dev (105.0.1321.0).

The problem only seems to occur on a terminal server farm (Server 2016 + Citrix virtual Apps and Desktops CU5) and VDI environment (Windows 10 + Citrix virtual Apps and Desktops CU5). Windows Defender is disabled as we are using Sophos AV.

As soon as I start a test at https://demo.smartscreen.msft.net, or download a file, the process swi_fc (Sophos Web-Protection) tries to connect to various IPs ( for example 20.67.219.150, 20.73.130.64, 20.86.849.62). Port 443 is used.

When I disable Sophos Web-Protection, MSEdge initiates the same connections.

In both cases, the connection is not opened via proxy. Sophos or Edge try to open the connections directly. However, this is forbidden in our system, which is probably the reason for the 20 second timeout on downloads.

If I set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 0
the error is gone. Warnings and downloads work again and I don't see any failed connections from swi_fc or msedge. However, with Edge 105, the old library is no longer delivered. So this is not a permanent solution. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-stable-channel#version-1020124550...

Allowing direct connections via port 443 also fixes the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do?

42 Replies
Awesome..would be great if they add this to the relaese notes. Most use a Change approval process and a bonifide statemnt on the Edge release notes stating the fix goes a long way in getting company wide changes approved.

@Tinzou @PackerBacker @AndresPico 

Today I updated my environment to 105.0.1343.27 and unfortunately it doesn't work anymore.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 / SmartScreen is not working.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 0 / SmartScreen works

However, a downgrade to 104.0.1293.70 worked fine:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 / SmartScreen works.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 0 / SmartScreen works.

Can anyone confirm this?

I just updated to 105.0.1343.27 on a lab client today and the new SmartScreen library is still working fine.

through a proxy??

Hello Everyone - We have received an update from the team that the issue has been fixed with Stable 105.0.1343.25 and Extended Stable 104.0.1293.78, which had been released on September 1, 2022.
And the fix will be available by default on the first stable version of 106 and later.

Please update to the latest and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

yes. configured via a proxy.pac
Hi Kelly
Does that mean that the legacy SmartScreen Library and the NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled GPO-Setting will be deprecated with version 106?

Hello @Kelly_Y,

I did some further testing and found a difference between Windows 10 (21H1 in my case) and Server 2016:

Windows 10 21H1

Edge 105.0.1343.27
NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 0 / working
NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 / working

Edge 104.0.1293.78

Edge 104.0.1293.70

Edge 103.0.1264.49
NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 / NOT working
=======================================
Windows Server 2016

Edge 105.0.1343.27

Edge 104.0.1293.78

Edge 104.0.1293.70

Edge 103.0.1264.49

May someone else can confirm? 

Regards.

@Krinto1100 The issue should have been fixed with Stable v105.0.1343.25+ and Extended Stable 104.0.1293.78+.  Are you reproducing the issue on Windows Server 2016 even after updating MS Edge and not configuring the NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled policy, so using the new SmartScreen library?

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y 

Thanks for your quick response.

I can still reproduce the error when installing the latest version of Edge (105.0.1343.27) on a 2016 server.

The error occurs when NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 or NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled does not exist.

Furthermore, I just tested it on a Server 2016 outside the domain, the error occurs here as well.

The error always seems to occur when I use the new SmartScreen library and I am on a Server 2016.

Unfortunately I'm on vacation for the next 2,5 week, so I can't reply.

I opened a case with Microsoft.. this is the response

Thanks for prompting me to check on this once more today-what you’re hearing is correct. The issue has been fixed with Stable 105.0.1343.25 and Extended Stable 104.0.1293.78, and the fix will be available by default on the first stable version of 106 and later.

Today I tested 105.0.1343.53 on Server 2016 and it is still not working.

NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 0 / shows warnings on https://demo.smartscreen.msft.net/
NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1 / didn't shows warnings on https://demo.smartscreen.msft.net/

Can anyone confirm this or does smartscreen on server 2016 work for you?

Kelly_Y are you still working on that or is it just me?

@Krinto1100 

Hello 

We had exactly the same issue in our environment. We did not realize that they were two different problems. But once this became clear, we examined the log files on the proxy server even more closely. It turns out that we are not allowed to authenticate users for the URL “smartscreen.microsoft.com”. Once the URL has been defined as an exception, SmartScreen (with the new library) is doing the job as expected. Perhaps this will give you a hint.

Regards

@Ricky_S thanks for your hint and sorry for my late response. My coworker was on vacation and I had much other things to do.

Did SmartScreen realy work for you on Server 2016 without HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled or NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled = 1?

I can't get it to work. No way for me. 

There are also no messages on our proxy. 

For testing, I setup three systems (Win 10 21H2, Server 2016 and Server 2022):
- separate VLAN
- no domain
- Edge 106.0.1370.42
- Sophos AV
- Proxy (user and system) are in place
- Systems are up-to-date

Server 2022 and Windows 10 21H2 are working as expected, but Server 2016 doesn't. There are no warning when testing on demo.smartscreen.msft.net.

Sadly, with Edge 106.0.1370.34 the Policy NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled got deprecated, so I have no way to make SmartScreen work on Server 2016 anymore.

Today is patch day but I have to stick with Edge 105 because of this issue. 

If someone had an idea, please share. 

@Krinto1100
Sorry for the delay, I had to search for a Server 2016 and had to install Microspoft Edge (106.0.1370.34). I confirm, Smartscreen doesn't work in Edge but works as expected in Internet Explorer. You should open a support request with MSicrosoft.
Regards

@Krinto1100 Hello!  I see that the team is aware of an issue affecting Server 2016 specifically and they were working on the fix.  I reached out to them to get more information.  Or like @Ricky_S mentioned you can open a Support request and they can investigate your specific scenario.  Thanks! 

-Kelly

@Krinto1100 Quick update from the team, they are experimenting with the fix.  You can test it out using the latest MS Edge Canary channel with feature flag --enable-features=msSmartScreenUseEdgeNetworking.  Let us know if that resolves your issue.  

-Kelly

@Kelly_Y thank you very much!

I have installed and tested Edge Canary on different systems. Once -enable-features=msSmartScreenUseEdgeNetworking is used, the error no longer occurs and SmartScreen works.

Can the GPO NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled please remain active until the error is fixed? Otherwise SmartScreen will not work on my RDS farm when 107 is released.

@Krinto1100 The latest information that I've heard from the team is the NewSmartScreenLibraryEnabled policy is deprecated but it will continue to work through v107, so you should not have any issues.  

Also, they plan to release the -enable-features=msSmartScreenUseEdgeNetworking fix in v107.  

Thanks! 

-Kelly