When is Microsoft going to bring Microsoft Authenticator windows aka desktop or within edge itself?

Copper Contributor

When is Microsoft going to bring Microsoft Authenticator windows aka desktop or within edge itself? 

(People like me lose mobiles)

Isn't Windows device considered anything? Only mobiles and android and iOS devices matter?

People like don't store important info on Windows devices? Edge has support for in-built password manager like chrome with chrome and google passwords then why is edge not having 2fa support on windows yet in 2024?

Is windows still usable if my phones goes for service center, dies randomly, or is stolen?

Can I consider windows devices to be of valuable in 2024 or should I shift 100 percent to android and MacOS and ios?

Should I throw my windows devices out of window since it is not dependent device when any other fails?

On a sidenote, I tried checking out but WinAuth Authenticator exists for Windows PC is open-source & offers 2-step verification (but unfortunately not updated since 2016) so why Microsoft which focuses so much of AI of everything has been able to bring desktop version for windows users?

Or am I asking too much in the name of security and privacy that big tech promotes all the time?

Can we trust microsoft and windows devices? Or is everything going to be done by google and chrome?

chrome_raPbtJVTIz.png

chrome_smvkNz1xGb.png

chrome_LcaBUtXgGW.png

2 Replies
Yeah a system-wide Password Management & 2FA app by Microsoft is very much needed. I think they have taken some steps with Edge Wallet, but it needs to go further.

@Rohit Yadav 

Their MS guy is clairying me this,

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-is-microsoft-going-to-bring-microsoft/da1...

In short, windows is not as sound and worthy as android or ios or macOS and might be discontinued so Microsoft is less likely to invest anything in Windows apart from AI. You can see "Killed by Microsoft" (https://killedbymicrosoft.info/) so I can see why they are uninterested. If everything is going to be on mobile, then I should buy android tablet and chromebooks and android laptops rather than use bloated and soon-to-be-dying windows.

The edge thing is limited to edge and if you are logged out of edge or not logged in (and expecting to be logged in), then you are in mess. A standalone app matters. If in future, edge adds video player in edge browser, I wouldn't uninstall VLC or potplayer, because the latter both holds an important role. Plus edge doesnt has 2fa stuff in it yet. It doesnt have addresses and notes section yet like chrome has got it now with 121 for all devices.