SOLVED

Two way bookmark sync between Google Chrome and Chromium Edge?

Brass Contributor

I've enjoyed using Chromium Edge as my main work browser, but prefer to keep using Google Chrome as my personal browser. However, I'd like to use my current Google Chrome bookmarks in Chromium Edge, but also have any new bookmarks that I add to Edge sync over to Google Chrome. 

I would think that since both browsers are based on Chromium; it shouldn't be too hard to implement a two way bookmark sync.  

38 Replies

@Elliot Kirk 

Just bring edge to linux then, I will happily use it

This is also what I'm looking for. Simple sync edge --> server and overwrite server --> chrome.
Spoiler

@anugrahandi & Power Automate Community,

I wanted to provide an update and lessons experienced on this type of flow and an absolute answer for a variety of questions that surfaced in this thread.

Scenario:

I download an excel file weekly that needs to be processed and pushed into a "leaderboard" on our sharepoint site. It involves reading rows of a spreadsheet and writing them to a SharePoint list as a refresh (i.e., deleting the entire list and then updating it with new information)

Problem:

The Excel Create table and/or most functions do not permit a dynamic link to a file. Meaning, I cannot use the ID from "When a file is created in SharePoint" and tell Excel to create or update a table.  It MUST retain its unique ID.  That includes "overwriting" the existing file.

Solution:

Create a static file and update the file with the contents or body of the new file.  In other words, DO NOT REPLACE the file, simply update the contents INSIDE the file.  Now, this poses a few idiosyncrasies which I will describe below to get it setup properly.  BOTH files must be .xlsx.

Setup:

1. Create a permanent storage file.  Also, create a table that will cover the MAXIMUM columns and rows you'd ever need.  For me, it was 300 as I have 193 employees today.  Go ahead and create the table and call it Table1.  Do this in native Excel.
  2. Create the flow
    1. The new file w/ the contents; choose Connector "When a new file is created.."  - drop into a separate folder so you can "watch" for new files. This will start the flow
    2. You can ignore the get items--apply to each delete --> this is simply deleting the old items in the target SharePoint list
    3. Select "Update File" - choose the permanent .xlsx file THEN choose the File Content from the new file via "When a new file is created" connector
    4. Choose Create Table pointed at the permanent file.  Select the range and name it Table1 -- the same as the target/permanent file
    5. List Rows Present in Table Connector - this is to get the total number of rows. Here is the tricky part--it wants a table name.  If you create one in advance, PA will allow you to save the flow, otherwise it will throw an error complaining it does not exist. See (1) above.
    6. Use "Apply to Each" to do what you need--you'll see attached.
  3. Delay & Delete
    1. Create Table "locks" the file for a period of time.  Delay for 10 minutes allows PA to release the file and permit its deletion.

Part 3Part 3Part 2Part 2Part 1Part 1

Thank you for this link  https://www.xbrowsersync.org/#download , this is exactly what I have been looking for for ages like @darrynbrooking I can also confirm that the Google Chrome extension works between New Edge Chromium and Brave with no problems, I'm very impressed with it so far.

One thing to note. I ran into problems if I kept the Microsoft bookmark synchronisation switched on, so when using this extension I recommend turning the book mark sync off in edge settings and let the extension do all the synchronisation work. My bookmarks have been happily syncing between all my browsers now for months and I love having the same favourites everywhere.

@Raheel605  Instead create a symlink for bookmarks and bookmark.bak file so that both browsers access the same file. 

How did you get it to look at the same file?

@Elvis_9999See this video to understand.

https://youtu.be/RDH5IuyPJtk

Let me know if you still can't get it after seeing the video

@akhator it's been 2 years since your comment and the other thread is closed. So why has this feature not been enabled? I use Google Chrome for everything personal and for work Edge is the preferred browser so when can we turn on the 2 way sync?

Floccus now makes a plugin/addon for both browsers to accomplish this, using cloud storage of your choosing.

@ebassett1000 cheers I ended up finding an extension called EverSync which has been working okay. The UI is not very good but it does work and does the job.

@vignesh1501Thanks for this suggestion.

On testing I found creating a symlink works but only in one direction. So you need to pick which web browser is your primary one where you create and delete favorites / bookmarks. The secondary browser will correctly pickup all changes from the primary but not save and delete new or existing bookmarks.

(Maybe I setup the symlinks wrong if you got it working bi-directionally?)

For myself, I chose Chrome as the primary browser and Edge as the secondary browser. Before creating the symlink, you need to delete the Edge versions of...
bookmarks
bookmarks.bak
bookmarks.msbak files

...so the new symlink can have these names and not throw a" file already exists" error message.

Delete these files (if Edge is secondary chosen browser):
"C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks"
"C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak"
"C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.msbak"

Create symlinks (replacing "UserProfile" in path with the correct name):
mklink "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks" "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks"

mklink "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak" "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak"

mklink "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.msbak" "C:\Users\UserProfile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks.bak"

There was no equivalent Bookmarks.msbak for Chrome so I just mapped both .bak & .msbak to the Chrome version of Bookmarks.bak. You can just leave .msbak alone and let it create its regular backup file is another option.

Anyway adding or deleting Bookmarks in Chrome mirrors correctly in Edge (after opening and closing Edge to force it to read the Bookmarks file). The Favorites in Edge do not update until the browser is opened and closed.

Adding or deleting Favorites in Edge does not mirror correcly in Chrome. So I am not sure sure why exactly this is other than there must be a data storage mismatch going on or somehow the write permissions are not allowed?

Once you close Edge and reopen it, those Favorite changes made revert back to those in Chrome. In conclusion if you don't need bi-directional synchronizing (which I don't) this solution works for a chosen primary browser.

Aly

@Elliot Kirk 

I tried this i want to switch from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge! On first use it synced fine, but after that nothing get automatically synced again? Not even when i followed your instructions. :( 

Sure i can add them all manually including all the open tabs , but if this doesn't even work (synchronization) , is Edge the right browser for me? This should be fixed M.S. too bad before i make the switch i suppose.

Kind regards,
Eelko

@darrynbrooking I'm looking for a capability to sync Edge bookmarks to Chrome and Chrome bookmarks to Edge.  If I save a bookmark in Chrome, I'd like it to sync to Edge. If I save a bookmark in Edge, I'd like it to sync to Chrome. I don't want to import or copy bookmarks from one to the other.

Does xBrowserSync meet that requirement?

Does it meet it alone or do I need an additional extension in one of the browsers? 

Does it sync all bookmarks or just the ones under "Favorites"?

Thanks!

@mmurphyj1 

Having tried symlinks as a solution and not been satisfied, I then moved over to xBrowserSync and everything works two way between Chrome, FireFox and Edge but with a few querks.  Have been using this now for quite a while with success.

Querky

Occassionally if the sync gets out of alignment and you reestablish it, the favicons images for the saved favorites disappear until you visit each page again, then they reappear.  You don't realize how much you visually reply on the favicon images until they are gone, so with a large number of bookmarks, going back to each page, one-by-one can take a while and be a pain to do.

The favicons are established browser-by-browser, so even if you get all the favicons up on Chrome they will not appear on Firefox or Edge until you visit the website inside of those individual browsers.  So you can see how the querk multiplies when you lose the favicons from a syncing issue they disappear on all the browsers...

Workaround

The workaround I have been using is to focus on one primary browser (Chrome in my case) for visiting all the linked sites so the favicons are all present inside of Chrome and ignoring this for FireFox and Edge.  If these browsers don't have favicons I don't fret about it.

All the browsers have all the links correctly synced but not the favicons until visited.

Syncing Good

The bookmarks themselves do not disappear and your syncing is good but just a visual issue on occassion.  It doesn't happen that often but it does happen regularly enough to point out as a downside.

Abandoned for Updates?

If you go to the Chrome web store for extension downloads, the last time this extension was updated was April 9, 2020 so I do not know if it is still under active development and security updates, something to think about.

Central Server

If you want to use their central server service for synchronization then you voluntarily expose the bookmarks you are syncing with a third party and they disclose and warn you about this vulnerability.  You can always setup your syncing server if that is a concern.

Always Keep Up-to-date Backups

They warn you to always keep up-to-date backups and I definitely recommend this for I have needed to restore on the odd occassion.  The do not warrant backuping up your links if you use their central server solution.

Hope that helps.

Aly