Sidebar for Favorites is a step in the right direction!

Iron Contributor

I'm glad Edge Team finally made a sidebar for Favorites! Please make this available for History and Downloads and Edge will FINALLY be on the direction to become a good browser! Sidebars are great for keeping you in your workflow instead of being as obtrusive as fullscreen menus.

And please let us pin the Downloads and History buttons to the toolbar too! As of now, you can only do so with Favorites, but there's not much of a point since the Favorites bar exists.

Looking forward to the possibility of Edge maybe even being as good as Firefox sometime within the next five years!

26 Replies
I don't talk about IOS.

This is how you do it:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/syncing-tabs-sending-tabs-to-another-device/m-p/9...

Not really, QR is super popular, don't see any inconvenience in it.

Not everybody owns and IOS either lol
I know that that's how you're supposed to send tabs to your phone, but that only works for Android. There is no way to do that for iOS.

QR is less convenient than sending the tab directly because you have to go through the trouble of grabbing your phone and holding the camera up to your computer screen. That takes quite a bit longer, especially if you don't have your phone right with you. Plus, you might not want to look at the website immediately--you might just be sending it to view later.

My point in saying that not everyone has an Android device is that I can't just "try" Edge for Android. Firefox is a better mobile browser for millions of people around the world because of the operating system they use.
Blame IOS for that, they are the ones putting limitations for developers.
Your phone app, Xbox cloud gaming etc. Microsoft can't force it on their platform if they don't want it.

millions of people, better browser..right, im just wondering why the market share is so low compared to Chrome.
Apple's limitations has nothing to do with this. I'm talking specifically about the features Firefox has in its iOS app. Those features were not prevented by iOS, and they are major advantages that it has over Edge.

Apple has sold over 1 billion iOS devices. There are definitely millions of people running iOS.

Chrome has nothing to do with this. I was saying that as a mobile browser, Firefox for iOS is better than Edge for iOS.

But to answer your question: I'm not sure about the history of the browsers, but when Chrome was newer it may have been the first to have some features and may have been better. That may have caused the initial wave of new users, but I'm sure most people just use Chrome because everybody else does. That was the case for me--I only used Chrome because other people used Chrome so I thought it was better. I can almost guarantee that most Chrome users have never tried Firefox.
apples limitations are exactly the reason Microsoft can't provide the same functionality to IOS users.
remember, these are not the history/open tabs syncing that are upcoming. i know Firefox provides those features through syncing, Edge will do the same as well in time, but these specific features are being blocked in IOS by apple while Android users can use them.

Android has sold more than 2 billions.

Chrome is the reason Firefox is falling behind in market share.

Firefox is one of the oldest browsers in the market, one of the two original browsers ever invented, of course back then, twenty years ago had different name. but still older than Chrome so chances of people trying it is higher than Chrome. so dont guarantee something we are not sure of.

It's not relevant how many Android devices there are. My point was that for iOS users, which is still a large percentage of mobile market share at about 15% (and much higher in some countries where Microsoft and Mozilla are more likely to focus their efforts), Firefox is a better iOS app than Edge.

Again, Chrome is irrelevant to the discussion. I don't know why Chrome has more users and I don't care.
When i talk about market share, i mean in general, not limiting the scope to a specific device and specific OS only.
so overall Chrome is leading the browser market share. both desktop and mobile
data from https://gs.statcounter.com/

i dont like it and hope it changes soon in favor of Edge and Firefox.