SOLVED

how to find virus on my pc

Copper Contributor

I have noticed some white blank spaces on my screen when I use my PC for the past 2 to 3 days. The blank spaces disappear when I refresh the page, but they reappear when I open a new tab and search on it. I thought it might be a virus, so I am asking for help to find out what is causing this issue.

6 Replies
It's almost certainly not a virus. Windows Defender is actually pretty good these days. However, open the search bar (or Win+S) and type in windows security. click on "Virus and Threat Protection". From there it should take you to the app where you can run a scan for viruses. If you haven't done a scan before or recently, you should do a full scan and ensure that it is set up to scan automatically if it isn't already set up for that.
ok thanks so much, i will try it
best response confirmed by Bhavana_K (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Jyothi, if you facing a blank white screen problem just follow these steps.
Try restarting your PC. This may fix the problem if it's caused by a temporary glitch.
Try using a different browser. If the problem only occurs in one browser, then it's likely that the browser's settings are causing the problem.
Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. This can sometimes fix problems with the display.

@Bhavana_K 

Try going into settings, system, turn off if on Use hardware acceleration when available. Turn your add on's if you have any off one at a time to see if that solves your problem. update Edge click on settings and then click on About. Update your graphic's drivers.

Hope this helps.

@Bhavana_K The issue you're describing doesn't seem to be a virus, so here are some more holistic steps you can do to try and fix the problem.

1. Update Operating System: Ensure your operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues and display glitches. You can check for updates by going to "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Windows Update."

2. Scan for Malware and Viruses: A comprehensive system scan is necessary to check for any malware or viruses that might be causing the display issues. As previously suggested, run a full scan to check for any issues.

3. Check Graphics Drivers: Outdated or corrupt graphics drivers can lead to various display problems. Try to update your graphics drivers to the latest version compatible with your system. Visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer (e.g., NVIDIA, AMD, Intel) to download and install the most recent drivers.

4. Check for Overheating: Overheating can cause graphical artifacts and display issues on a PC. Check if your PC is running hot by checking the system's temperature in the BIOS. If it's overheating, clean the PC's internals to remove dust, ensure proper ventilation, and consider applying new thermal paste to the CPU if necessary.

5. Test in Safe Mode: Safe Mode loads the system with minimal drivers and services, which can help determine if the issue is caused by third-party applications or drivers. If the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it's likely due to a software conflict.

6. Check for Recent Software Changes: If the issue started recently, have you installed any new software or made changes to your system configuration? Sometimes, certain software installations or updates can lead to compatibility issues.

7. Run System File Checker (SFC) and Check Disk (CHKDSK): These can help fix corrupted system files and check for disk errors that might be causing display issues. Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following commands:
- To run SFC: `sfc /scannow`
- To run CHKDSK: `chkdsk /f`

8. Perform System Restore: If the issue started after a recent change, perform a system restore to revert your PC back to a state before the problem occurred. You can access System Restore through "Control Panel" > "Recovery."

9. Hardware Check: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, there might be a hardware problem with the PC. It could be related to the graphics card, monitor, or other components that may need to be resolved by the manufacturer.

I hope this helps fix your issue!

Regards,

familieslife1

plz, don't use ChatGpt answers in this community.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bhavana_K (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Jyothi, if you facing a blank white screen problem just follow these steps.
Try restarting your PC. This may fix the problem if it's caused by a temporary glitch.
Try using a different browser. If the problem only occurs in one browser, then it's likely that the browser's settings are causing the problem.
Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. This can sometimes fix problems with the display.

View solution in original post