Edge Dev Doesn't Run

Copper Contributor

Running release prior to 101.0.1198 and also 101.0.1198. Neither will run properly. I get a blank window for a couple of seconds and then it quits. I downloaded 101.0.1198 again today (after doing and uninstall). Same symptom. Running Windows 11 Pro with maintenance current. 

33 Replies
same errors here as well
I think the pattern for the root cause is emerging :)

Likely only crashing for heavy users whose App Data is xtra large.

Just not clear to me where the storage consumption in within the kazillion folders...and what can be safely deleted.
LOL, yours is only half the size of mine ;)

That said, 6GB just does not seem that big to me that it should be considered 'too large' by Edge...
for me it just keeps crashing on start .
Run the diag tool in the previous post.
Do you get the same App Data to large error?

@Robert Shurtleff I have the same User Data failure in the diagnostics.  I ended up submitting a ticket and response was it is a known issue and is being addressed.

:)
OK - I wasn't aware of the option to submit a ticket for issues in Edge Dev. What is the process?

same issue to large app data .  i was able to resolve with following steps

1) using edge beta back up the settings using sync in profile

2) uninstalled edge beta dev

3)deleted the Edge Dev folder for Edge dev at C:\Users\<user name >\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev

4) reinstall edge dev and resync the settings from edge beta.

I had the exact same problem, Edge Dev was working fine yesterday (my Edge Beta and normal still worked today). I was able to fix it by uninstalling Dev under apps in the windows settings and just reinstalling from the Edge Dev download site. I had my account already connected and syncing as I use it on multiple devices and didn't lose anything. I even still had my ~60 "save when close" tabs open back up using the "restore pages because of unexpected close" window.

@Mike Nichols I don't think KB2267602 is the cause. It's not installed on my work laptop (Win11 Business 21H2) and both 101.0.1198.0 and 101.0.1193.0 fail to start on this machine.

For now I've rolled back to 100.0.1181.0 which appears to be the last version that is stable for me.

Here is what fixed it for me
start with these parameters
msedge.exe --disable-features=msHub
That worked for me also...at least allowing edge dev to start again.

Just not clear what msHub features i'm losing....

But, makes dev operational again until MS releases the fix
Thank you, your solution worked for me too.