Edge Dev Doesn't Run

Copper Contributor

Running release prior to 101.0.1198 and also 101.0.1198. Neither will run properly. I get a blank window for a couple of seconds and then it quits. I downloaded 101.0.1198 again today (after doing and uninstall). Same symptom. Running Windows 11 Pro with maintenance current. 

33 Replies

Dropped down to beta release and it works fine.@zak64 

It was working great then all of a sudden this afternoon, it went "(Not responding)" while I was browsing. I noticed it was getting increasingly sluggish before it fell over. Killed it, rebooted, reinstalled, same thing. Launches, sometimes gets to the "Didn't close correctly" message, then goes off into not respondingville. Since no part of the tab background starts to paint, It could be something wrong with the MS servers that handle the new tab processing.
I downloaded the Beta release and it is working fine.
The same thing on my end... everything was working fine... then around 2 PM EDT, I notice that the browsing became sluggish, and now when I open edge Dev (the latest version in the channel) - its stuck for ~30 seconds, and then crash...
Ditto here. Fine yesterday. Today, for any profile, Dev starts to open. pauses for up to half minute. After so many attempts, now it shows the "failed to start last time, do you want to Restore or open default tabs" message.
but both buttons are inactive, and very shortly thereafter, the browser crashes.

Dev is definitely Dead :(
Note that I've also tried to start Dev in InPrivate and Administrator modes...Both also crash exactly the same way.
A day later - 29 March 8 AM EDT - Edge Dev is still hard down - has anyone heard anything from Microsoft? I have been using Edge Dev from day 1 - and this is the first time I recall that there was such a problem that the browser didn't work for almost ~24 hours...
Interestingly Edge Dev 101.0.1198.0 is running fine on my Win 10 Pro 21H2 19044.1620 system. It is broken as described here on my Win 11 Home Build 22581 release 220318-1623 system. I believe it may have broken after Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.361.908.0) which was not installed on the Win 10 system. Both systems have received Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.361.935.0).

@zak64  Same here ran diagnostics. on win 11 says user data path too large (2616490473) for c:\user\name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data

also says User preferences integrity File too big

Local State integrity File too big

Cookie database File not found

Hope this helps I also was using edge dev yesterday with no issues then it suddenly crashed and now keeps crashing. 

Sorry this is how you run diagnostics:
msedge --diagnostics in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application in a command prompt
Thanks @dproske!
That output is quite interesting....

==========
[PASS] Operating system supported version
Windows NT 10.0.19043
[PASS] Install type
System Level
[PASS] Chrome version test
101.0.1198.0 dev
[FAIL] User data path
Path contents too large (11973402622) for: C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data
[PASS] Local state path
Path exists and is writable: 130971
[FAIL] App dictionaries directory path
Path provider failure
Finished 6 tests.
Robert - what is the context here? Do we need to run tests because the guys in Microsoft cannot reproduce the issue? I tried 3 different laptops and Edge dev is hard down... I think that Microsoft can reproduce it in-house very easily... Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not clear MS has visibility to the issue yet, I don't see any comments from them yet.
If the diags can help them, i was happy to run them and post the results.

I looked at the app data path. not clear where all that storage is being consumed. :(
There's like a kazillion folders in there....
Windows NT 10.0.19044

[PASS] Install type
System Level

101.0.1198.0 dev

[FAIL] User data path
Path contents too large (6609632475) for: C:\Users\lance\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data

[PASS] Local state path
Path exists and is writable: 64055

Path provider failure

Finished 6 tests.
Press [enter] to continue
Got it. Who is moderating the discussion board? is it a Microsoft guy or is it a kind of autonomous discussion board? I wonder if the moderator can somehow escalate it within Microsoft... My bet is that Edge Dev is down worldwide.... On my side - 11 AM EDT 29 March - Edge Dev is still down on my Windows 11 & Mac machines.
Interesting....
My Edge GA app data (which I only use for backup when Dev is dead), which i've setup the same sync'd profiles....
only has 2.38 GB

Yet, my Edge Dev App Data, with the same 3 sync'd profiles...has 10GB
And that's after running storage cleanup and tossing all the 'temp internet files'
Did you run the diags?
Do you get the same errors as me?
Yes & Yes. Here is my output:

Windows NT 10.0.22581

[PASS] Install type
System Level

101.0.1198.0 dev

[FAIL] User data path
Path contents too large (5823720785) for: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data

[PASS] Local state path
Path exists and is writable: 56382

Path provider failure

Finished 6 tests.
Press [enter] to continue
yeah, that was my diag output, same errors