Discussion - Mouse cursor sometimes disappears

Microsoft

Hey Insiders,

We’re trying to get more information about the mouse cursor disappearing issue, specifically a reproducible case that we can review. To that end we’re starting this discussion to ask for your help in helping us tackle this issue.

Firstly please note that we have some cases in Chromium where we expect the mouse cursor to disappear:

1. When watching video if the mouse cursor is hovering over the video and not moving it will disappear.
  2. When using touch input to interact with the browser.

If you are having the mouse cursor disappear, it’s not during one of these scenarios, and it’s reproducible, reply to this thread. We’ll get a discussion going to try to help us understand the issue better so that we can fix it.

44 Replies

@Clay_Martin 

The cursor surely disappears. It usually happens if we minimize edge, open another program, and then again open edge. Or it even happens after waking the laptop from sleep. And when this happens, the scrolling speed also increases which is sometimes really annoying.

@Clay_Martin, most weirdly I've managed to go through control panel mouse settings and while customizing it the cursor was presented again. I've tried another round of uninstalling devices and while my wired mouse is still not working my wireless mouse is now active.

We believe we've fixed the issue in the latest Canary release and it will also be addressed the next time Beta/Stable channels are updated. The issue was tracked upstream by this bug and would reproduce if you closed the browser with touch while a background extension kept the browser process alive. If you're willing to install Canary you should be able to verify the fix. Thank you everyone for your help in narrowing this issue down.

@Clay_Martin 

What about Dev? I run version 85.0.531.1.

@Clay_Martin 

I am still facing the issue. I am on edge canary version 85.0.538.0. As I wrote earlier, it happens if we put our system to sleep with edge minimized or sometimes it happens all of a sudden.

@TheShaunSaw Does this happen in Chrome? We dealt with some touchpad driver issues in the past with HP devices sending us Touch input via the touchpad instead of Mousewheel which would cause the cursor to disappear. When it disappears does to return when you move the mouse (non-scrolling)?

What device are you hitting this issue on? Are you able to reproduce this issue in Chrome? Lastly check out our latest canary as that had a fix for a background-extension related mouse cursor issue which may have cause this.
Dev should get the update either tomorrow or next Tuesday depending on what build it snaps to.
What's the device make and model you are hitting the issue on? Are you able to repro in Chrome? Also are you using any extensions?

@Clay_Martin 

This is the model and make of my laptop.

Ekansh0202_0-1591676261136.png

I have not tried it in Chrome yet. But as far as I remember I faced this issue in Chrome also sometimes.

And yes, I am using many extensions.

@Clay_Martin I had the same problem with my brand new Asus laptop in both Edge and Chrome. I saw the comment about using the touch screen.

This is the first touch screen Windows device for me, and I was using the touch-pad and touch screen interchangeably when I got the cursor disappearance problem. I restarted the laptop, which fixed the problem.

I checked a little bit by only using the touch-pad, and the cursor stayed. I'll test more extensively and see if that's the answer.

I hope this can be fixed, because when I'm doing lessons I find it really nice to be able to use the touch screen or pad in the same session. 

@Harry_Powell 

A few weeks ago I got my new company Dell Latitude 7400, running Windows 10 2004 build.
Installed all the latest drivers & bios from Dell.

I'm mostly experiencing the problem when coming out of standby/blank screen, and a quick fix (quicker than rebooting) is to Ctrl-Alt-Del,  Switch user.

As soon as I hit the log on window the mouse pointer is back. I just sign back into my account to be on my merry way. Annoying as hell, but I can live with it. Hope to get a fix before we start handing out 200 of these new laptops to regular users.

@Ninke_Westra We addressed what we believed was the top form of this issue occurring and that should be in stable now. What version of the browser are you running?

@Clay_Martin 

Edge:  84.0.522.59

Chrome:  84.0.4147.125

Actually as I checked the browser versions, they started updating:

Edge: 84.0.522.61 

Chrome: 84.0.4147.135

I'll report back if the problem persists (or doesn't)

@Ninke_Westra 

Still experienced the problem after upgrading both Edge & Chrome. might not be browser related afterall?

Tomorrow I'll try using Firefox instead of Edge & Chrome

@Ninke_Westra Let me know how that goes. Both Edge and Chrome use Chromium under the hood so an issue could be shared across both browsers.

@Clay_Martin

Dell Latitude 7400, Windows 10 2004 build, latest BIOS and drivers from Dell, both Chrome (84.0.4147.135) and Edge (84.0.522.63) are up to date (at least they claim to be).

Once the screen blanks (power settings) and I hit a key, the mouse pointer is already stuck, not responding to track pad or touch screen, on the unlock screen for my session, disappearing once logged in. 

The way to fix it is to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, use cursor keys to select "Switch user" and hit enter.

As soon as the sign in screen appears the mouse pointer is fully functional again.

Hope this helps.

@Clay_Martin  closed out of Edge yesterday evening, and this morning when I logged on again the problem did not occur, had it sit to turn off the screen again without the problem ocurring. 

Next I'll fire up Edge once more to see if this causes the mouse pointer to fail again.

(just realized I posted this using my personal account)

@Clay_Martin the plot thickens... 

I've had the same problem occur with neither (new) Edge nor Chrome open (while hooked up to power supply and connected through WiFi).

At the office my laptop is connected to the network by wire using a USB-C/Thunderbolt mini dock and so far has not shown this issue. 

Could it be that Wifi somehow plays a role?