SOLVED

Black window on Canary build 115.0.1875.0

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I just updated to the most recent version of Canary this morning (115.0.1875.0) and since then it appears just as a black window, I know I am moving between previous opened tabs using the keyboard and if I over the mouse over the black window it will describe what is under it, like for example move the cursor to the top right I can hover over "Minimise" "Restore Down" and "Close" but still cannot see their icons or anything on the screen.

Anybody else experience this, no repair on the installation works. Leaving un-install/re-install as last option.

Mod edit: Fixed the post title.

25 Replies
Indeed, I have the flag enabled

Update: Our engineers are currently investigating the problem regarding Dev/Canary not rendering properly or crashing. A fix has been implemented and it appears to have resolved the issue for some users. However, we understand that there are still individuals encountering this problem. If the current workaround provided here is not effective for you, please follow these steps:

1. Close all instances of "msedge.exe" by killing the processes.
  2. Add the following command line argument to the "msedge.exe" executable: "msedge.exe --disable-features=msEnhancedTextContrast".
  3. Launch the browser again.
  4. In the address bar, enter "edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast".
  5. Select either "default" or "disable".
I disabled the flag, & the browser does not displays a black screen, but still crashes after 10-20 seconds.
Thanks for the update. I'd like to get your crash log over to the reliability team. To send it, enter edge://crashes in the address bar > If you see corresponding crashes listed there, select the Send feedback section on the right > In the description enter "MS Edge Dev V.115.0.1880.1 Crash and send.
Thanks for the update. I opened edge://crashes & there were crashes listed occurring recently.
It had all the crashes in Uploaded state already except the very recent one, I sent it with the description as recommended by you.
Updated to Build 115.0.1895.0 & it seems to be working fine.
Still getting a black screen if Enhance Text Contrast flag is turned on, that still needs to be fixed.