SOLVED

Black window on Canary build 115.0.1875.0

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I just updated to the most recent version of Canary this morning (115.0.1875.0) and since then it appears just as a black window, I know I am moving between previous opened tabs using the keyboard and if I over the mouse over the black window it will describe what is under it, like for example move the cursor to the top right I can hover over "Minimise" "Restore Down" and "Close" but still cannot see their icons or anything on the screen.

Anybody else experience this, no repair on the installation works. Leaving un-install/re-install as last option.

Mod edit: Fixed the post title.

25 Replies

Yes, I have the same issue. Only thing I seem to get displayed (a couple of times when I opened the browser) was a looping video of a skyline / bridge. Everything else is black (right clicking brings up black menus etc)

Tried an uninstall / reinstall but appears to be the same

best response confirmed by ATIAdmin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Try launch edge with --disable-gpu commandline option. If it works then disable hardware acceleration at settings/system. (This is in my case.)

This worked perfectly, thank you very much!
I want to provide an update that the engineering team is aware and actively investigating.
Thanks for bringing this up. Our engineers are aware of this issue and currently working on a fix.

@atlanto 

Put computer in "Safe Mode" and the Carnary Edge will open, and you can turn off "Hardware Accelerator" 

I just wanted to provide an update. Our engineers stated that this issue should now be resolved, so if you're using the command line flag to disable gpu as a workaround you can now remove it. Please let us know if you're still experiencing this issue after doing so.
Problem still not resolved in the latest build 115.0.1880.0 for me.
Same here.
Still having the issue on 115.0.1880.0 on Surface Pro 7+
Okay, thanks for the update. I'll let the engineers know the issue is still there.
Still having the issue on last build 115.0.1888.0 (Windows 11)
Surface Pro X, Edge version 115.0.1890 arm64, Windows 11 build 22631.1825. Still black screen if GPU acceleration is enabled.
It seems that the latest Dev build 115.0.1880.1 isn't affected by the bug. Build 115.0.1880.0 and the latest (115.0.1890.0) on canary channel are still affected.

@Jeremiah-V My Canary is still not working either.  I haven't installed the Dev build from today, but I saw a comment on the announcement that at least one person was having an issue.

I had _an_ issue on 1880.1 - it crashes after about 10 seconds. I can actually see the UI and interact with it. I do have HW acceleration enabled too, AMD GPU.
It seems that the bug is resolved in the last Canary build 115.0.1891.0.
Browser with HW acceleration works fine.
Not for me... Still facing the issue in that build too

According to Dev Channel update to 115.0.1880.1 is live,

You may have edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast enabled.
I'm using that flag and disabling it works for me.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ATIAdmin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Try launch edge with --disable-gpu commandline option. If it works then disable hardware acceleration at settings/system. (This is in my case.)

View solution in original post