Bing search requrning errors

Copper Contributor

Any search on Bing today is returning this error:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

I am using Edge Version 114.0.1823.67 (Official build) (64-bit) so switched to Chrome version 114.0.5735.199 (Official Build) (64-bit) but on entering bing.com into my address bar I got the same error.
I then tried using a remote PC and that worked fine. So, the problem appear to be a local issue. Has anyone else encountering this problem? If so, any suggestions to resolve will be appreciated.

5 Replies
I have had the same error intermittently for the past two months or so. Happens once or twice a week.
I found out what this was. Bing was blocking my IP. That seemed strange until I remembered that a few days prior to the problem arising I ran a programme that checks the position of my keywords on google.com and bing.com. It seems those repeated searches resulted in a ban from Bing. That was foolish of them because I may well have been planning to run advertising campaigns to support poorly performing keywords but being denied access meant I couldn't do that! My IP has since cleared the bad and all is working again.

@BrianWatson I don't have any such program and still having the same problem. Now I'm using duckduckgo instead of bing.

@BrianWatson, how did you find out that Bing was blocking your IP? We have the same issue using a specific VPN gateway in our US South zone. Did you submit anything to Microsoft?

Thanks!

Duncan

@DuncanF1 quite easily. Whenever I launched Bing in my browser I was unable to search for anything!

My problem arose when I ran a program that looped through my keywords and looked up in the leading search engines. The position found was then recorded. This was to help me see what needed more SEO attention and possible AdWords activity. Unfortunately running a large number of searches in a short period caused Bing to deny access from my IP address. I could prove this was so by accessing via a VPN, turning back to my own IP and comparing results. I continued my research by conducting the searched via VPN's and my IP soon has access restored.