Windows 11 Pro Issue deploying Office Pro Plus 2021 locally via officedeploymenttool

Copper Contributor
Windows 11 Pro
Office 2021 Retail

I am trying to install only Word, Excel and Access - I do not want anything else.

I went to MS's online Office Customization Tool and created the below Configuration.xml.
I also downloaded deployment tool and it extracted the setup.exe and various configuration file examples.

I down loaded the Office Pro plus 2021 Retail Img file from microsoft so I know its a legit MS one.

I placed the Office Pro plus 2021 Retail Img file and the deployment tool setup.exe in a folder C:\Office2021Install

I then mounted the Img file and made a note of the Drive Letter which I then appened to the Configuration.xml that
I downloaded from MS's online Office Customization Tool.

First I tried using Windows 11 terminal, opening it from within 

The command line I use to to run the deployment tool setup.exe is ".\\setup.exe /configure Configuration.xml"

I am getting the error message

"We found a problem
We're sorry, we can't continue because we weren't able to download a required file.
Please make sure you're connected to the internet or connect to a different
network, then try again."

I then opened Command Prompt from Win 11 task bar search as Admin and then navigated to C:\Office2021Install.

I then used the command setup.exe /configure Configuration.xml

I got the same error meassage.

I do not understand the error as I was connected to the internet and it does not saty what file it was
trying to download. After all, I am installing offline from a genuine MS Image file

I'd be grateful for any assistence as I have been trying to install this for 12 hours straight now.

This is my configuration file.

<Configuration ID="7b438bdd-f6a0-48d4-b104-612e6a5ccc0e">
  <Info Description="" />
  <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="PerpetualVL2021" SourcePath="E:" AllowCdnFallback="FALSE">
    <Product ID="ProPlus2021Retail" PIDKEY="My Key Goes Here">
      <Language ID="en-gb" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
      <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Visio" />
    </Product>
  </Add>
  <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="FALSE" />
  <Property Name="DeviceBasedLicensing" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="SCLCacheOverride" Value="0" />
  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
  <Updates Enabled="TRUE" UpdatePath="E:" />
  <RemoveMSI />
  <AppSettings>
    <Setup Name="Company" Value="My Name Goes Here" />
  </AppSettings>
  <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
</Configuration>
5 Replies

@Kenneth Green I am receiving the same error when trying to run "setup.exe" with any xml file. I am having trouble even generating an xml file from the configuration tool. /download completes without error in a few seconds; I feel like it should be taking longer. /configure presents the same error you described.

What gets me mad is that Microshite want thier customers to use these forums for Tech support but no one actually answers.

@Kenneth Green All of the issues I was experiencing seem to have been resolved over the weekend.