Problems logging into Microsoft 365 on Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Services Session Hosts

Copper Contributor

We just upgraded our Windows Server 2022 Remote Desktop Services Session Hosts from running Microsoft Office 2010 to running Microsoft 365 Office Business Premium using shared activation.

Since the upgrade, none of our users connecting to the Remote Desktop environment are able to log into Office using their Microsoft 365 accounts.

We did install the applications following this document https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/deploy-microsoft-365-apps-remote-desktop-services 

What happens is the user will log into the Remote Desktop Session Host.  When they start a Microsoft Office 365 application such as Excel, it will show that they are logged in as their local domain account such as username@domain.local instead of their Microsoft 365 account which is email address removed for privacy reasons.  Since they are logged in with the domain local account the application indicates that the software is running as Non-Commercial and Unlicensed.   The applications will not let me log out and back in under the Microsoft 365 account.  If I log out and try to log in, I get the error message “Sorry, we are having some temporary server issues”.

If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thank you, 

Jeff

4 Replies

@jeff-cleath 

Would you try to login M365 account from the Microsoft application, say Excel to see whether works or not? "It aims to isolate the problem 

@Kidd_Ip thank you for the reply.   We were not able to log into M365 at all, even through the applications.   We ended up finding out the issue was that it was using out local domain.  I added the M365 UPN to the domain and things started working.

@jeff-cleath we have the same problem. How did you add the M365 UPN?

Go into the Active Directory Domains and Trusts tool, right click on the root node called Active Directory Domain and Trusts, select properties, then enter your domain under alternate UPN suffixes.