SCCM Remote Desktop capabilities

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I've been looking into getting SCCM for our organisation. We currently have a Logmein subscription and wondered if SCCM's Remote Control solution will be a good alternative.

We also have Office 365 Business Premium licences.

What I'm hoping to achieve with SCCM:

Remote access to local network devices (I've seen this work from clips online)

Remote access to remote worker devices. (Devices connected to the domain / Azure AD, but not on the local network)

When I'm accessing remote devices as the administrator, I need UAC access to install applications. Does Remote Control support UAC prompt window? 

The reason I'm asking, is I was potentially going to use Microsoft Teams with 'Share Desktop' to support end users. However, the UAC prompt window doesn't appear. I haven’t tested with Skype for Business? But I’m trying to get away from using it. 

OR could this be done with policies being pushed to the remote device?

I would test this myself with the evaluation licence of SCCM.

We’re in the process of upgrading our infrastructure currently, so I’m unable to install and test it myself.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

3 Replies

Remote access to remote worker devices is not possible from SCCM. You will need additional tools for this. 

Hi David,

I have answered the questions below, but I want to also clarify that System Center Configuration Manager is a much bigger tool than just Remote control and in fact remote control just happens to be a feature in there to help assist with the over all management of your enterprise devices including Windows Updates, Office 365 updates and management, Windows 10 Current Branch/Current Branch for Business, software distribution, VPN profiles, Antivirus and Antimalware, operating system deployment, configuration management, compliance settings, and much more. Like wise Configuration manager is only one part of a much larger Data Center Management suite that offers so much more.

To answer you questions:

1. Remote access to local network devices (I've seen this work from clips online)
    Yes, you can access devices that are on your local LAN/WAN as long as the proper ports are open between endpoints.
  2. Remote access to remote worker devices. (Devices connected to the domain / Azure AD, but not on the local network):
    If the device has VPN Direct Access, then it is possible, of course this depends on firewall ports, VPN policies, and such factors. If it is strictly an internet based device, then unfortunately it is currently not available, however Skype for Business may be an option in these situations.
  3. When I'm accessing remote devices as the administrator, I need UAC access to install applications. Does Remote Control support UAC prompt window? 
    Yes, you have the ability to support UAC prompts with Remote Control.

I access remote worker (internet based) users machines with SCCM. All of my remote users speak with SCCM through the Cloud Management Gateway that I setup in Azure. As long as you have the means to grab their IP address which I do with a script that I push through SCCM it is not a problem.