SOLVED

Azure storage port 445

Copper Contributor

I am trying to map a network drive to my Azure storage account.  I understand that port 445 has to be open.  I opened port 445 at my gateway  (ATT BGW320).  From the gateway, I tried PING xxxx.file.core.windows.net, where xxxx is the name of my storage account.  The result resolves the IP address for the URL, but gave 100% packet loss.  I can use the Azure Storage Explorer and see data stored there.  I don't know what to try next.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by marklevin (Copper Contributor)
Solution
ICMP traffic is not permitted to Azure resources. Try Port Ping instead. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/mast/use-port-pings-instead-of-icmp-to-test-azure-vm-...

@Travis RobertsThank you for your quick reply.  I tried some port testing software per your recommendation and they all come back with the port is blocked/filtered.  This is a home/business network that has had many hardware and software additions and removals over the last 20 years.  It's far too complicated for me to diagnose, so I'll have the professionals take a look at it.

@marklevinI realize this is an old post, but in case anyone else comes across it: AT&T specifically blocks port 445 over their network, so you cannot directly connect to SMB file shares. This is outlined in this document at the table near the bottom https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/network. By contrast, Spectrum does NOT block 445 (in my experience) but it's hit or miss depending on your internet service provider.

A few questions for the OP: Did you configure private access on the storage account to delegate access only to your vNets? Are you attempting to map the storage account purely by UNC path or with the storage account key credentials? i.e. localhost\<storageaccountname> and password <SAK>?

But definitely check your ISP to see if they block 445. Comcast also blocks 445 by default and it cannot be opened, even by request.

Test-NetConnection is also viable. Test-Netconnection xxxx.file.core.windows.net -port 445 will work if 445 is available on your network.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by marklevin (Copper Contributor)
Solution