Azure virtual desktop - resize session host

Copper Contributor

Hello Team.

Currently, I have Virtual Desktop running, but I have some questions about size and resize session hosts.

1.-According to documentation a host pool is a collection of session hosts, but what exactly means a host pool, is a hypervisor, a node with some resource capacity? Is a session host an Azure VM?

2.-When I create a host pool, does it have a default size for session hosts?

3.-Can I shutdown a session host? and only work on 8x5?

4.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends using reserved instance instead on-demand, so, can I buy reserved instances for my session hosts?

5.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends modifying size of vm according to usage, so for right sizing I should change the size of session host. After session host creation, can I resize it? Can I create different session hosts with different sizes within the same host pool? Is it possible and recommended? or all session host must have the same size?

6.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends buying saving plans. Can I apply saving plans to my session hosts?

Thank you.

1 Reply

@OrlandoPalomino 

1.-According to documentation a host pool is a collection of session hosts, but what exactly means a host pool, is a hypervisor, a node with some resource capacity? Is a session host an Azure VM?

-- Host pool is not a hypervisor, it is an object having information of the hostspool and its associations. Session host is an Azure VM with additional agents installed and configured to attach to the hostpool

2.-When I create a host pool, does it have a default size for session hosts?

- No, its something you need to choose based on your requirements

3.-Can I shutdown a session host? and only work on 8x5?

- Yes, you can also automate availability of hosts with scaling plans

4.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends using reserved instance instead on-demand, so, can I buy reserved instances for my session hosts?

- yes, same as for a regular Azure VM

5.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends modifying size of vm according to usage, so for right sizing I should change the size of session host. After session host creation, can I resize it? Can I create different session hosts with different sizes within the same host pool? Is it possible and recommended? or all session host must have the same size?

- Yes, may change the size according to the usage, but maintain same size for all session hosts so that the load balancing (max session per host) is achieved.

6.-Usually Azure Advisor recommends buying saving plans. Can I apply saving plans to my session hosts?

- Yes, Reserved instance or Savings plans or both on what works out best for you.