SOLVED

Install Azure AD Connect when Azure AD Connect Cloud sync is already set

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Quick question here. I need to enable Hybrid Azure AD joined devices and for this I follow this procedure: Configure hybrid Azure Active Directory join - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

As I already have Azure AD Connect Cloud sync setup for my environment (and knowing that it does not support devices), can I install Azure AD Connect now and set it up as required?

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Regards,

Dom

4 Replies
Yes, you can have Azure AD connect and Cloud sync installed on the same server, but you need to define which OU is handled by Azure AD connect and which OU is handled by Cloud Sync as the Cloud sync is the new technology of syncing identities from on prem to Azure and the goal is to migrate from Azure AD connect to Cloud Sync. Refer to this document to it may help you.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/elie-karkafy-mcp-mcsa-mcse-ms-mct-azurearchitect-azurecertified_migra...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily.

Thanks for your quick answer Elie.
We are already using Azure AD Connect Cloud sync.
The problem is that we also want to have some computers as Hybrid Azure AD joined devices. And as far as I can tell, Cloud sync does not support devices.
Thus my question to install Azure AD Connect to manage devices only. I can leave the rest to Cloud sync. In my scenario, Azure AD Connect will be installed after the domain is already syned using Cloud sync.
Is it still relevant?

Thanks again!
Dom
Yes, you need first to exclude your device OU from cloud sync, double check that your devices has been deleted from Azure Device blade, install azure AD Connect and configure it to sync only the device OU with enabling the hybrid join feature as well.
best response confirmed by DomAnnicette (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DomAnnicette (Brass Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post