Azure CSP Customer - How to monitor costs if cost mgmt tool is limited? (No mgmt group , PAYG rate )

Copper Contributor

I was formerly an EA administrator and we had full access over our tenant. All management groups could be used for a scope on cost management & Billing and it would return accurate pricing.

New company uses a CSP and from what I am reading, the cost management tool can only be used on a per subscription basis (not management group), and it returns pricing on a "Pay-as-you-go" rate that is not accurate for final billing. CSP apparently has a list of prices they calculate at end of month.

Has anyone that uses a CSP found effective ways to monitor tenant wide costs or send automated reports with these limitations? I am happy to purchase a third party tool and connect all subs if needed but this seems silly.

1 Reply

@Famousamos 

I'm working for a CSP and faced the same problem for some of our customers.

The regular Cost Management API is only returning PAYG pricing.

At the customer side, there isn't any possibility to return the effective cost for a subscription,  nor tenant wide.

At CSP side, the subscriptions are managed through Partner Center.

This as a few downsides for reporting. The data can be fetched with the Partner Center REST API, but only with valid partner credentials. Above that, some of the charges change after they get billed the first time.

Custom reporting can be offered by the Partner to get insight in you billing, but this depends on what the CSP offers.