On Prem Servers to Azure Cloud

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

We are exploring options for a client to migrate them to a cloud infrastructure. I would like some advice on how best to approach this.

Reasons for migrating
They want to reduce the amount of equipment they have in the office by no longer having workstations or servers and just using laptops this is because their lease for the office will expire next year and want to avoid setting up all workstations and servers at a new premises.

I have outlined their current setup below.

Server 1 - Virtual Server (On-Premise)
-Domain Controller

Server 2 - Virtual Server (On-Premise)
-Application (Recruitment software - SQL Server Database)
-File

Currently users have a 10 user workstation setup in the office which are all domain joined. They work from home 2 days week via VPN and RDP to their workstations.

Speaking to the application provider, the software can run in a standalone environment and does not require AD authentication. The application shortcut has to be in the same environment as the users Office suite as they integrate with each other as well as a shared drive.

All users have a Microsoft 365 Business Standard license.

The initial brainstorming thoughts we had were:
-Setup Virtual servers on Azure one for remote desktop and the other for the Application with data drive
-Azure AD Join the users laptops
-Azure Virtual Desktops
-Upgrade users 365 license to Business Premium

If anyone can, please advise what might be the best option or if I am missing anything to move infrastructure to the cloud.

Thank you so much!

4 Replies

Hi @ashk17,

Microsoft provides a lot of tools to help you with the migration of your tools, app, compute. You can fold a first tutorial here : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/tutorial-discover-vmware to prepare Azure and VMware for migration.

A second tutorial available here : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/tutorial-assess-vmware-azure-vm to assess VMware VMs before migrating them to Azure.

Go to the already created project or create a new project here : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/create-manage-projects

Finally, if you have a physical server and not a virtual one, you can also use this tutorial : https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/tutorial-migrate-physical-virtual-machines

Also remember to use the Azure calculator to get an estimate of the budget for your new infrastructure.

Consider giving a like at the end of this message if my response could help you resolve your problem.

I hope I was able to help you and wish you a nice end of the day,

Nicolas

Hi ashk17,
Are you planing to migrate DC to Azure? if so the option is Redeploy, and also note azure ad is not same as On prem (Windows server Domain controller), if you use group policies, DNS, etc you still need to use Onprem DC or if not you need to use other azure services availble to full fill these requirements.
take a look at the CAF documentation for an overview of your options

Also, check out the Azure Migrate documentation, which will probably help you with this.
There are specific migration options for virtual servers, depending on your virtualizer.

Be careful with this AD. If possible, create another AD in Azure and synchronize it with the on-premise one and migrate the functions to the new server.

Another point you should evaluate is the use of Azure AD. At first, I recommend using AD Connect to synchronize your accounts with Azure AD, but after a period of use, consider using only Azure AD (check compatibility with legacy applications). The use of Azure AD is different from the use of a conventional AD, you should test this before.

Finally, evaluate security matters, because even if you're in Azure, you're responsible for the security of the services. Consider using NSGs, VMs without public IPs, Private endpoints, DDOS protection, application gateways, firewalls, and other items in Azure for this purpose.