On Premise Gateway

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to explore options for connecting backend system to Power Automate using on prem gateway.

I installed and setup a gateway cluster and it is with status online in admin portal 

What I am not clear how gateway connect to backend system? Is there a way in gateway configuration file to mention gateway server can connect to backend system? I want to restrict connection so data gateway by default should not talk to any backend system from network perspective. example one server for application, one server for database, one server for file system. I want gateway server to talk to database server only and not others, 

Regards

farooq

3 Replies
you need to create a SQL connection in PowerApps where you can define the connection name, the SQL server name and the database name and which data gateway to use for example.

refer to the below link for a step-by-step setup.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connect-to-your-on-premises-data-sources-using-on-premise...
Hello digitalarchitectuk,

To connect your backend system to Power Automate using an on-premises gateway, you need to create a data source in Power Automate and specify the gateway to be used for the connection. In the data source settings, you can configure the connection details for your backend system, including the server name and database name.

To restrict the gateway from talking to any backend system, you can configure the network settings for your gateway server to only allow connections to the specific servers you want it to connect to. This can be done by configuring firewall rules on the gateway server to block all incoming connections except those coming from the IP addresses of the backend system servers.

Refer to the following Microsoft documentation for more details on how to configure the on-premises data gateway and its network settings:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-networking

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Luke Madden