Capture and analyze logging and telemetry

Microsoft

I guess I'll give this a shot - not sure if this is where I ask my question. We are partnering with the FUSE Labs folks on building our first production call flow on Bot Framework. One area we are struggling with is how we capture and analyze the logging and telemetry related to our inbound ACS calls to our bot channel. Also, how are call detail records captured, and what reporting might we have available to us that could give a business perspective on the service itself (e.g. concurrent calls in progress, average call length, dropped calls, who terminated the call (e.g. called party or calling party), etc.

6 Replies
We recommend using Application Insights to collect your bot channel insights from the bot side:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/bot-service/bot-builder-telemetry-analytics-queries?view=azur...

You would need to do some work to combine the data you are seeing from ACS with the data generated by the bot (And refer to an ACS team member for more details on that aspect of your stack), but feel free to reach out to me directly and we can find out the best person to do that.

@Peter Nilsson wrote:

Also, how are call detail records captured, and what reporting might we have available to us that could give a business perspective on the service itself (e.g. concurrent calls in progress, average call length, dropped calls, who terminated the call (e.g. called party or calling party), etc.

@peterswimm I agree, this information will be imperative for our use case (a customer support IVR) - is the only way to gather this info via App Insights at the moment? Any plans to surface it in another fashion at some point?

Hi @Christopher Polanish- I was wondering if you could help me understand your question a bit better. Are there any specific ways in which you would need that information delivered that is different from App Insights? Is there a reason why App Insights is not something you would want to use?

Absolutely, we plan to support multiple types of scenarios but will be working from the framework of app insights as to the method for data insights, and along the way people should be able to use those reference materials as a basis for alternative solutions. Would love to hear more about your requirements, please feel free to drop me a line: peterswimm@microsoft.com
We ultimately want to surface some of that info in a dashboard for our phone answerers - current calls, people on hold, average call length, etc.
In our (bot framework) ecosystem, there are lots of ways to accomplish this, but we have not done much in helping customers build their own solutions.

Starting this year we are beginning to invest in out of the box telemetry solutions, but the first wave of these will likely be around bot performance and measurement and built with Application Insights in mind, and then move into more sophisticated hosted dashboards like you would see in dynamics or pva
https://dynamics.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/customer-insights/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-virtual-agents/analytics-overview

Again, please feel free to reach out to me directly, would love to hear more about what you are trying to buid,