Should I upgrade to Access 2016 or 2021

Copper Contributor

Hello - I have been using Microsoft Access 2010 for many years.

It has been a great tool because it allows me to use it's drag and drop "intuitive" interface to create macros that I can run daily that import files, run queries, and export the results of those queries. The best part of Access 2010 is that I haven't had to do hardly any SQL (or other programming) and have been able to easily edit the relevant queries and imports/exports using the Macros features whenever the content or structure of my tables or queries need to be revised. Then each day, I simply run the Macro (one click essentially) and it runs all of my the imports, runs the queries, and then runs the exports (which I then import manually to various locations online). In other words, the best part of using Access is that I don't have to reach out to a developer or programmer every time that a file changed, or that a query or table column needed to be edited.

So, my question is whether Access 2016 or Access 2021 will be able to do the same kind of thing. I believe I had read awhile back that Macros are no longer as easy to use in the newer versions of Access, so I figured I would check here first to see if it is recommended that I stick with Access 2010.

Also, if you have broader insight into other tools that I should possibly use (such as another drag and drop tool that is similar to Access, or even a basic option that uses MySQL or other SQL databases....but designed to be used by non-programmer types), please feel free to suggest any alternative tools.

(And just an FYI, I am having problems with Access 2010 where it keeps freezing, after upgrading to a Windows 11 Computer. That is the reason I am considering upgrading now.)
Thanks for any suggestions!

4 Replies

Hi,

> I believe I had read awhile back that Macros are no longer as easy to use in the newer versions of Access

The macro designer hasn't changed much since Access 2010. Therefore macros are almost the same.

In general, from a usability standpoint there were no big changes since 2010. So, for the things you describe, it doesn't matter much if you take 2016, 2021, or the next perpetual version, which probably will come later in 2024, or a 365 subscription.

2021 is 1 year longer officially supported by Microsoft than 2016 and has a few more new features.

If you are interested in support periods, you can read more here.

Servus
Karl

Access Forever

Access News
Access DevCon

Access-Entwickler-Konferenz AEK

Why would you not choose the newest available version, given that there are no fundamental differences in the way they work?
If there are any any chances in macros, they would be enhancements for the most part.

" ... a basic option that uses MySQL or other SQL databases....but designed to be used by non-programmer types)...."

Those databases are MORE likely to require more advanced skills than Access.

@George Hepworth you make a great point. Hence the reason for my question. I wanted to make sure the latest version will continue to work for me (so I don’t have to change all the old queries and automation that has been set up). Sounds like the new versions will work and that I had previously been misinformed. 

It's good to be informed. I just wanted to point out that the chances of a regression in usability are far, far less than the chances of improvements. That's not to say there are no bugs in any version, of course.

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for false ideas about Access to be circulated. And again, it is wise to be cautious about such rumors.

Continued success with your project.