Crosstab Query Totals

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to save the totals line for a Crosstab query in Datasheet view so when I run the query the total are there and I do not need to press the 'Totals' button?

5 Replies
Unfortunately, it's not quite clear what you want. Can you provide an example?

@George HepworthAfter I run the cross tab query, i need to press the 'Totals' button at the top each time. Is there a way to default so that the it totals when i run the query?

talmrubin2_0-1610116861528.png

@talmrubin2 

Thanks for clarifying. Not that I know of. However, I would not do it that way anyway.

I would do this as a UNION query. 

The first SELECT in the UNION is as you have it know.

Then UNION and a second SELECT that does the totals by NOT grouping on Delivery Te? and Shipping Code. I would need to see the actual SQL from your crosstab to attempt an example. However, where you have SELECT [Delivery Te?], you would use "Totals" AS [Delivery Te?], and where you have [Shipping Code*], you would use "" AS [Shipping Code*] to suppress the Grouping on those fields but still have a placeholder value to display.

If you need more details, please provide the actual SQL from the Crosstab query to work with.

@George HepworthThanks! below is the sql, any help would be appreciated. I am going to play around with this myself also

TRANSFORM Count(Past_Due_Data.[Order No]) AS [CountOfOrder No]
SELECT Past_Due_Data.[Delivery Terms], Past_Due_Data.[Shipping Code*]
FROM Past_Due_Data INNER JOIN Plant_Lookup ON Past_Due_Data.Site = Plant_Lookup.[Plant Number]
GROUP BY Past_Due_Data.[Delivery Terms], Past_Due_Data.[Shipping Code*]
PIVOT Plant_Lookup.[Plant Name];

@talmrubin2 

Without sample data to work with, this is totally air code.

Create a second query like this: 

TRANSFORM Count(past_due_data.[Order No]) AS [CountOfOrder No]
SELECT "Total" As [delivery terms],
"" AS [shipping code*]
FROM past_due_data
INNER JOIN plant_lookup
ON past_due_data.site = plant_lookup.[plant number]
PIVOT plant_lookup.[Plant Name]

Save it as DeliveryTotals, or using a name consistent with your naming conventions.

Now, create a third query using your original and this new Totals query

SELECT * 

FROM YourOriginalQueryName

UNION 

SELECT * 

FROM DeliveryTotals;

It may be necessary to tweak my totals query a bit, but that should be idea.