Changing location of backend database without redoing the frontend app

Copper Contributor

Hi.

I have a database that I have split into backend and frontend. The splitting occurred in our local server, so the backend is naturally stored there. Naturally, this is also the path that is associated to the frontend such that if I move the backend to a different location, the frontend will no longer be able to access this database.

Unfortunately, this is my conundrum. I need to transfer the backend file to the cloud since the server is prone to connectivity issues. I've had multiple instances of data corruption due to service interruptions and the cloud would save me from this problem. But, if I simply transfer the backend file, the frontend will be rendered useless. I can relink the tables and other whatnots but that would mean I have to re-position all of my fields in my UI, not to mention modify the VBA codes as needed.

Is there a way for me to execute the transfer without having to redo the frontend (the fields, codes, etc.) from top to bottom?

Thank you.

4 Replies
You do not need to change the front end IF you migrate the data properly.

But we need one crucial bit of information to be more specific. What do you mean by "move the backend to the cloud"? It all hinges on what that actually entails.
If you move the BE to a location you can get to using an ODBC driver, then you do not need to redo the FE. For example move the BE to a hosted SQL Server instance, or Azure.
If you need to use a different protocol such as HTTP, then an Access FE does not make sense anymore, and you would be looking at redoing the FE using web development tools.
It's basically, cutting then pasting the BE from our local server to a folder in my OneDrive account.
Okay, I think I get the picture now. Seems like I may really have to redo the FE. Thanks!