Access add table window doesn't pop up

Copper Contributor

When I am in the design view of my query and I want to add a table to the design view. Previously I could click on the button add table in the design menu or show table with the right-click and a window would appear. but now the window doesn't show up. 

5 Replies

@Spieters6 It's possible this is the result of a recent MS update. There have been a few lately. Although I don't recall this specific symptom, it could be one of those problems.

Try a repair on your MS Office installation. If that doesn't clear the problem, you may want to try rolling back to a previous version of Office to see if that corrects it.

@George Hepworth  This is my thought too because all the other device got their upgrade and this feature doesn't work either...

I found that the ADD TABLE pop up doesn't appear and that any clicking in the ACCESS window results in the error chime.  I found that ADD TABLE works when the window is on my laptop screen.  When ACCESS is displayed in my 2nd monitor (via HDMI cable), that's when ACCESS freezes.  It sounds like another MS undocumented feature.  I don't have a fix but a work around is to move the ACCESS window to my laptop screen to add tables and then move it back to my larger 2nd screen.  Hope this helps.

Another workaround is to forego the Add Tables pane, and drag-n-drop from the Navigation Pane.
As soon as I click on Create > Query Design, Access locks up. New queries are not possible Your work-a-round is to take an existing query and copy/paste it and work on the copy and then drag a table into the Design View. Bottom line is that adding new query in a database that doesn't have any queries is not possible unless the Access window is dragged into the laptop screen (in my case). I don't know if it's an Access issue, MS Office, or an operating system issue. Thanks for the post.