How does a Skype Room System Authenticate

Brass Contributor

So more on the woes of SrS.  I need to understand how this authenticates to SfB.  Here is what I have done.  I plug my laptop into an ethernet port.  I can easily sign into SfB on premise with the SrS account.  I take the same cable and ethernet port and plug it into the Srs, It does not authenticate (Exchange online works fine).

On internal wireless I try the same thing with my laptop and iPhone, both authenticate to SfB with the SrS account no problem.  I try the same wireless with the SrS (disabled the ethernet on the device through admin), still cannot login.

Connect to guest wireless, which goes through a different router and public DNS, everything works fine.

So does this connect like a mobile device or the regular desktop client?

What DNS records does it use, and how does it authenticate, through Access Edge, or internal?

3 Replies

Hi Adam. Just to let you know, it works for me (SRS v2 using Logitech SmartDock and Extenderbox) and we're running Exchange 2016 on-premise but SfB Online in O365. Doesn't help you much but I did exactly the same, tried everything on my laptop, just changed the Ethernet port to the Extenderbox. First time, it failed, but at reboot it worked. I assume you've checked you're getting IP-address and Internet connectivity on the SRS?

Same URL/IP should apply as regular clients. Some tips from this PowerPoint:

- Lync Connectivity Analyzer - Validate credentials and connectivity Certificates

- Ensure that any certificate used by Exchange or Skype for Business are trusted

The answer depends on which products you are asking about.

Lync Room System / Skype Room System (v1)

- Lyncdiscover with SIP Registration for Lync/SfB

- Autodiscover with EWS for Exchange

Skype Room System (v2)

- Lyncdiscover with UCWA registration for SfB

- Autodiscover with EWS for Exchange 

Surface Hub

- Lyncdiscover with UCWA registration for SfB

- Autodiscover with ActiveSync for Exchange

Hello Jeff
I think i have the same issue with my Skype Room System (v2) and the SFB W10 app. To connect it to the O365 cloud, i have to switch back to admin profile, open an edge browser to check connectivity and launch back the SFB SRS2 app. Then i got connected until the next disconnection.