SOLVED

RESOLVED: How to change Modern page Author from the "Created By" field to something else

Steel Contributor

When we use the Modern Pages to Publish news, we can see the WebPart "Last Published News" with a vignette (Image, Title, first part of the text and Author).

Modern Home Page NewsModern Home Page News

The issue is this value when you use an automation system to create the site canevas, because the News Author will stay with the "Created By" field as Author which is in my case the account used for the PowerShell script.

As you can see in that picture, I modified some pages with my standard account and the Home Page Webpart shows only the admin account as AuthorList of Modern pages published as newsList of Modern pages published as news

The "See All" link placed into the Last news WebPart is pointing an aggregated view of all the published news and you can see into the Author shows only the "Created by" field (my admin account).See all Published NewsSee all Published News

Is there anyone who know how to define another field as Author for that "News" Modern Page ?

Fabrice Romelard

19 Replies
Nope. Have same issue and we just had to live with it for now. I tried css injection but the css used for that field used some dynamic css class and can’t be used as it changes every so often.

The only thing I know that might be possible or using the rest call in flow but not sure it works SPO. I read up on it And decided it wasn’t worth the effort :p.

Last option is finding or creating your own news webpart.

Thanks Christopher,

The built-in web part does not give any parameter for that and the "See all" link is pointing also a built-in page impossible to change.

I also check the page content type and found 2 "Author" fields, but without any change possible into.

So, from my knowledge, the only way is to look from MS to change that setting.

Except if someone has another genius idea :)

Fab

If you are looking into updating the Created By / Modified By fields, that is actually possible with PowerShell / CSOM with the sufficient permissions. See the following blog post for additional details.

Would that solve your scenario?

Thanks for your message Vesa

I will check if that is working or not.

Fab

Dear Vesa,

I tried to follow your recommendation via the script I wrote:

[string]$SitePagesURL ="https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteCollectionurl/subsite/"
[string]$PageLibPublicName = "Site Pages"

[int]$TempUserID = 0

function Load-DLLandAssemblies
{
	[string]$defaultDLLPath = ""
	# Load assemblies to PowerShell session 
	$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.dll"
	[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile($defaultDLLPath)
	$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime.dll"
	$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.Client.Tenant.dll"
}
Load-DLLandAssemblies

#get and save your O365 credentials
[string]$username = "AdminLogin@tenant.onmicrosoft.com"
[string]$PwdTXTPath = "C:\SECUREDPWD\ExportedPWD-$($username).txt"
$secureStringPwd = ConvertTo-SecureString -string (Get-Content $PwdTXTPath)
$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $username, $secureStringPwd

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#connect to the web site using the stored credentials
Write-host " "
Write-host " -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- " -ForegroundColor green
Write-host " ---- CONNECT THE SITE --- " -ForegroundColor green
Write-host "   CONNECTED SITE:", $SitePagesURL  -ForegroundColor Yellow

$Myctx = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext($SitePagesURL)

$Myctx.Credentials = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SharePointOnlineCredentials($cred.UserName,$cred.Password)
$Myctx.RequestTimeout = 1000000 # milliseconds
$MyspoRootweb = $Myctx.Web
$Myctx.Load($MyspoRootweb)
$Myctx.ExecuteQuery()

Write-Host " "
Write-Host " ---------------------------------------------------------"
Write-Host "  >>>> # Server Version:" $Myctx.ServerVersion " # <<<<<<" -ForegroundColor Green 
Write-Host " "

Write-host " -------------------------------------------------------- "
Write-host "   -->> RootSite:", $MyspoRootweb.URL -ForegroundColor green

Write-host " "

$Alllists = $MyspoRootweb.Lists
$MyPagelist = $Alllists.GetByTitle($PageLibPublicName)

$MyPagelistItems = $MyPagelist.GetItems([Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.CamlQuery]::CreateAllItemsQuery())
$Myctx.load($MyPagelistItems)
$Myctx.executeQuery()

foreach($PageItem in $MyPagelistItems)
{
	Write-Host "ID:", $PageItem["ID"], " - Title:", $PageItem["Title"]
	$ModifiedByuser = $PageItem["Editor"]
	$CreatedByuser = $PageItem["Author"]
	if ($ModifiedByuser.LookupId -eq $CreatedByuser.LookupId)
	{
		Write-Host "       ===> Modified by: ", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "] - Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor Yellow
	}
	else
	{
		$TempUserID = $ModifiedByuser.LookupId
		Write-Host "       ===> Modified by: ", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "] - Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor Red

$PageItem["Author"] = $TempUserID
		$PageItem.Update();
		$Myctx.ExecuteQuery();
	}
}  

But nothing change at the "Created by" level, the change is apply for the "modified by" with my admin account used for that script execution.

So my issue is not solved and i'm showing only the script execution account as news publisher.

Thanks for your help if you have another way.

Fab

Seems that your user resolution is not properly done as following did work without any issues. I just tested it in a normal E3 tenant in production. Just used the basic code provided from the blog post for proof of concept.

// Get pwd from environment variable, so that we do not need to show that.
            string pwd = "pwdfortheaccount";

// Get access to source site
            using (var ctx = new ClientContext("https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/OverrideTest"))
            {
                //Provide count and pwd for connecting to the source
                var passWord = new SecureString();
                foreach (char c in pwd.ToCharArray()) passWord.AppendChar(c);
                ctx.Credentials = new SharePointOnlineCredentials("whatever@contoso.onmicrosoft.com", passWord);

var list = ctx.Web.GetList("/sites/OverrideTest/SitePages");
                ListItem item = list.GetItemById(1);
                ctx.Load(item);
                ctx.ExecuteQuery();

User user = ctx.Web.EnsureUser("i:0#.f|membership|admin@contoso.onmicrosoft.com");
                ctx.Load(user);
                ctx.ExecuteQuery();

item["Modified"] = DateTime.Now.AddYears(-5);
                item["Created"] = DateTime.Now.AddYears(-5);
                item["Editor"] = user.Id;
                item["Author"] = user.Id;
                item.Update();
                ctx.ExecuteQuery();

}

This resulted updated values as seen in this picture below... with updated values for Modified By and Created By.... I was using my personal account (Vesa) and set the account for the item as "James Admin". I would simply double check the identity values in your tenant for the person using, for example, user profile admin UIs... and then test things in simplistic code like above... before making the script too complex. First POC - then polishing.

2018-08-16_14-21-53.png

Dear Vesa,

Thanks for your message, I tried to use it adapting to my case, but that is driving me mad.

Now I can confirm the xxx.update() is changing the title, but nothing related to the Author

The adapted code is the following one:

[string]$SitePagesURL ="https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteCollection/Subsite/"

[int]$TempUserID = 0

{

$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.dll"

$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.Runtime.dll"

$defaultDLLPath = "C:\Program Files\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.Client.Tenant.dll"
}

Load-DLLandAssemblies

[string]$username = "login@tenant.onmicrosoft.com"
$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $username, $secureStringPwd

# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Write-host " "
Write-host " -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- " -ForegroundColor green

$Myctx.Credentials = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SharePointOnlineCredentials($cred.UserName,$cred.Password)
$Myctx.ExecuteQuery()

Write-Host " "
Write-Host "  >>>> # Server Version:" $Myctx.ServerVersion " # <<<<<<" -ForegroundColor Green 
Write-Host " "

Write-host " "

$Alllists = $MyspoRootweb.Lists

$MyPagelistItems = $MyPagelist.GetItems([Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.CamlQuery]::CreateAllItemsQuery())
$Myctx.load($MyPagelistItems)

$Myctx.executeQuery()

{
	$ModifiedByuser = $PageItem["Editor"]
	$CreatedByuser = $PageItem["Author"]

$MyEditoruserAccount = $MyspoRootweb.EnsureUser($ModifiedByuser.LookupValue);
	$Myctx.load($MyEditoruserAccount)
	$Myctx.executeQuery()

if ($ModifiedByuser.LookupId -eq $CreatedByuser.LookupId)
	{
		#Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "] - Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor Yellow
		#Write-Host "            ===> Modified Account Login:", $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName -ForegroundColor Magenta
	}
	else
	{
		Write-Host "ID:", $PageItem["ID"], " - Title:", $PageItem["Title"]
		Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "] - Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, "[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor Red
		Write-Host "            ===> Modified Account Login:", $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName -ForegroundColor Magenta
		$PageItem["Title"] = $PageItem["Title"] + " XXXXX" # < CHANGE IS OK
		$PageItem["Author"] = $MyEditoruserAccount.Id  # < CHANGE IS NOT OK !!!

$PageItem.Update()
		$Myctx.ExecuteQuery()
	}
}  

But are you sure that option is sustainable for the future, because I will have to execute that script each time someone modify one of the help page, and I have no idea when they will do that.

Is there any plan to evaluate the showing of the Modified by instead ?

Fab

I'm also trying to find a way to modify the "Author" of a News article.  Came across this post on the Uservoice site and it's flagged as "in the plans".  Promising, but I guess we can't expect much until it hits the Office 365 Roadmap.  https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/31875550-change-p...

best response confirmed by Fabrice Romelard (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Dear all,

I finally found how to do that change based on a PowerShell script.

This script will directly check the page list and for each item will check if the "Modified By" value is different than the "Created By", and check also if the "created by" account was not an admin (or system).

If yes, the item fields (Author, Creator) will be updated with the values "Modified By" and the Modified Date will be applied into all the fields using the same type.

You can easily adapt that script code if you need another logic, but the solution is working really well and I applied it in many Modern Page List.

[string]$SitePagesURL ="https://[yourtenant].sharepoint.com/sites/YourSiteColl/YourSubsite"
[DateTime]$modifiedDate = Get-Date

[string]$DefaultEmailAddress = "PublisherEmail@yourdomain.com"
[string]$MyTempEmailAddress = ""

{

}

Function Get-All-PageList-UpdateMetadata($MyctxTemp, $MyspoRootwebTemp)
{
	$Alllists = $MyspoRootwebTemp.Lists

$MyQuery = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.CamlQuery;
	$MyQuery.ViewXml = "<View><Query><OrderBy><FieldRef Name='Modified' Ascending='FALSE'></FieldRef></OrderBy></Query><RowLimit>9999</RowLimit></View>"
	$MyPagelistItems = $MyPagelist.GetItems($MyQuery);

$MyctxTemp.load($MyPagelistItems)
	$MyctxTemp.executeQuery()

{
		Write-Host ""
		Write-Host ""
		Write-Host "   --------------------------------------------------------- "
<#	
		foreach($MyFieldval in $PageItem.FieldValues)
		{
			Write-Host "     >>> FieldName:", $MyFieldval
		}
#>
		$modifiedDate = $PageItem["Modified"]
		$ModifiedByuser = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue]$PageItem["Editor"]
		$CreatedByuser = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue]$PageItem["Author"]
		Write-Host "ID:", $PageItem["ID"], "- Title:", $PageItem["Title"], "- Original Publication Date:", $modifiedDate.ToString("dd-MM-yyyy")
		Write-Host "           ==>>> PromotedState:", $PageItem["PromotedState"], "- PageLayoutType:", $PageItem["PageLayoutType"] -ForegroundColor red

Write-Host "   >> Description:", $PageItem["Description"] 
		Write-Host "   >> BannerImageUrl:", $PageItem["BannerImageUrl"].URL, "- URLDesc:", $PageItem["BannerImageUrl"].Description
		Write-Host "   >> ContentTypeId:", $PageItem["ContentTypeId"] 

if ($ModifiedByuser.LookupId -ne  $CreatedByuser.LookupId)
		{
			Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $ModifiedByuser.Email ,"[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor green
			Write-Host "       ===> Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $CreatedByuser.Email ,"[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor green

if($ModifiedByuser.Email -ne "")
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $ModifiedByuser.Email
			}
			else
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $DefaultEmailAddress #Admin Account to reset with the default one
			}
			$MyEditoruserAccount = $MyspoRootwebTemp.EnsureUser("i:0#.f|membership|$($MyTempEmailAddress)");
			$MyctxTemp.load($MyEditoruserAccount)
			Write-Host "                ===> Modified Account Login:", $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName -ForegroundColor Magenta

$PageItem["Modified"] = $modifiedDate;
			$PageItem["Created"] = $modifiedDate;
			$PageItem["FirstPublishedDate"] = $modifiedDate;
			$PageItem["Created_x0020_By"] = $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName
			$PageItem["Modified_x0020_By"] = $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName
			$PageItem["Editor"] = $MyEditoruserAccount.Id;
			$PageItem["Author"] = $MyEditoruserAccount.Id
			$PageItem.Update()
			$MyctxTemp.ExecuteQuery()
		}
		else
		{
			Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $ModifiedByuser.Email ,"[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor red
			Write-Host "       ===> Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $CreatedByuser.Email ,"[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor red

if($ModifiedByuser.Email -eq "") #Admin Account to reset with the default one
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $DefaultEmailAddress
				$MyEditoruserAccount = $MyspoRootwebTemp.EnsureUser("i:0#.f|membership|$($MyTempEmailAddress)");
				Write-Host "                ===> Modified Account Login:", $MyEditoruserAccount.LoginName -ForegroundColor Magenta

$PageItem.Update()
			}
		}
	}  
}

Load-DLLandAssemblies

[string]$username = "adminAccount@[yourtenant].onmicrosoft.com"

Write-host " "

$Myctx.ExecuteQuery()

Write-Host " "
Write-Host " "

Write-host " "

Get-All-PageList-UpdateMetadata $Myctx $MyspoRootweb

Thanks all for your help.

French version of the article:

Fabrice Romelard

The Author field never gets updated for me. The code runs fine.

It's difficult to give you support without any knowledge of your tenant.

The best way is to user the log writing to follow the execution and find what could be the reason for that issue you observed.

From my side, the change was applied and I validated that script on several different sites without hundreds of pages.

It's now running in another production script too.

Fab

I have the same problem. I use the below PowerShell script to set the publishing information (Author and Date) of a News page. 

Script

#requires -Modules "SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline"

function Set-PublishingInformation {
[CmdletBinding()]
param (
[string] $Site,
[string] $Page,
[string] $Publisher,
[DateTime] $PublishingDate
)

begin {
Connect-PnPOnline -Url $Site -UseWebLogin

$ctx = Get-PnPContext
$web = Get-PnPWeb

$user = $web.EnsureUser($Publisher)
$ctx.Load($user)
$ctx.ExecuteQuery()
}

process {
$item = (Get-PnPClientSidePage $Page).PageListItem

$item.File.CheckOut()

$item["_AuthorByline"] = $user.Id
$item["FirstPublishedDate"] = [TimeZoneInfo]::ConvertTimeBySystemTimeZoneId($PublishingDate, "Pacific Standard Time")

$item.Update()
$item.File.CheckIn("Publishing information updated by script", "MajorCheckIn")

$ctx.ExecuteQuery()
}
}

Example Usage

Import-Module SharePointPnPPowerShellOnline
Set-PublishingInformation -Site "https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/<your_site>" -Page "Your-promoted-News-Page" -Publisher "bill.jones@<domain>.com" -PublishingDate (Get-Date "10/26/2018 16:00")

Hello Fabrice,

With the recent configuration changes added to Modern Pages, you can now specify a news author which overrides the "created by" information displayed in the News web part. 

However it does not work for news which are just simple links but it works well for Modern pages.

Not that this new parameter does not allow you to change the displayed date, so your script is still very useful!

2019-01-29_14-49-40.png

@Alexander AurasAfter some research and tests, I arrived at with my simple recipe.

$listItemID = 0
$PageName = "PageURLwithoutASPX"
$DesiredDate = Get-Date "2019-11-22 09:00:00"
$EmailUser = "Edward.Snowden@saveus.com"

Set-PnPListItem -List "Site Pages" -Identity $listItemID -Values @{
"Created"=$DesiredDate;
#"Modified"=$DesiredDate;
"FirstPublishedDate"=$DesiredDate;
"Editor"=$EmailUser;
"Author"=$EmailUser;
"_AuthorByline"=$EmailUser;
#"PromotedState" = "0"
}
Set-PnPClientSidePage -Identity $PageName -Publish

After running this script, a new version will be published (with the comment 'Published by provisioning') and the 'Modified by' (Editor) and 'Modified' fields will be updated by the user that ran the script.

You can comment out some of the lines when you don't wish to update some values.

However!! In order to change the 'Author' you must keep the 'Editor' line!?

@KM KTNN 

Hey there, quick question.

what of I want to hide the "author" I dont want it to be displayed, Is there a way to do this?

Tks 

HReyes 

@Hugo Reyes You can just close the author section by clicking the "X" and it won't display.

@matt howell 

That is great in the browser, what about PowerShell? How can you do it with code?

@Robert Vončina Try leaving the author byline field blank, maybe?

#Parameters 

$SiteURL= "https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxx"

$ListName = "SitePages" 

$ItemID = "xx"  

$_AuthorByline = " "

#Connect to PnP Online 

Connect-PnPOnline -Url $SiteURL -UseWebLogin 

Set-PnPListItem -List $ListName -Identity $ItemID -Values @{"AuthorByline"=$_AuthorByline} 

@matt howell 

Tried that already, doesn't work. The page still shows the author...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fabrice Romelard (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Dear all,

I finally found how to do that change based on a PowerShell script.

This script will directly check the page list and for each item will check if the "Modified By" value is different than the "Created By", and check also if the "created by" account was not an admin (or system).

If yes, the item fields (Author, Creator) will be updated with the values "Modified By" and the Modified Date will be applied into all the fields using the same type.

You can easily adapt that script code if you need another logic, but the solution is working really well and I applied it in many Modern Page List.

[string]$SitePagesURL ="https://[yourtenant].sharepoint.com/sites/YourSiteColl/YourSubsite"
[DateTime]$modifiedDate = Get-Date

[string]$DefaultEmailAddress = "PublisherEmail@yourdomain.com"
[string]$MyTempEmailAddress = ""

{

}

Function Get-All-PageList-UpdateMetadata($MyctxTemp, $MyspoRootwebTemp)
{
	$Alllists = $MyspoRootwebTemp.Lists

$MyQuery = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.CamlQuery;
	$MyQuery.ViewXml = "<View><Query><OrderBy><FieldRef Name='Modified' Ascending='FALSE'></FieldRef></OrderBy></Query><RowLimit>9999</RowLimit></View>"
	$MyPagelistItems = $MyPagelist.GetItems($MyQuery);

$MyctxTemp.load($MyPagelistItems)

{
		Write-Host ""
		Write-Host ""
<#	
		foreach($MyFieldval in $PageItem.FieldValues)
		{
			Write-Host "     >>> FieldName:", $MyFieldval
		}
#>
		$modifiedDate = $PageItem["Modified"]
		$ModifiedByuser = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue]$PageItem["Editor"]
		$CreatedByuser = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FieldUserValue]$PageItem["Author"]
		Write-Host "ID:", $PageItem["ID"], "- Title:", $PageItem["Title"], "- Original Publication Date:", $modifiedDate.ToString("dd-MM-yyyy")
		Write-Host "           ==>>> PromotedState:", $PageItem["PromotedState"], "- PageLayoutType:", $PageItem["PageLayoutType"] -ForegroundColor red

Write-Host "   >> Description:", $PageItem["Description"] 
		Write-Host "   >> BannerImageUrl:", $PageItem["BannerImageUrl"].URL, "- URLDesc:", $PageItem["BannerImageUrl"].Description
		Write-Host "   >> ContentTypeId:", $PageItem["ContentTypeId"] 

if ($ModifiedByuser.LookupId -ne  $CreatedByuser.LookupId)
		{
			Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $ModifiedByuser.Email ,"[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor green
			Write-Host "       ===> Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $CreatedByuser.Email ,"[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor green

if($ModifiedByuser.Email -ne "")
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $ModifiedByuser.Email
			}
			else
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $DefaultEmailAddress #Admin Account to reset with the default one
			}

$PageItem.Update()
		}
		else
		{
			Write-Host "       ===> Modified by:", $ModifiedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $ModifiedByuser.Email ,"[", $ModifiedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor red
			Write-Host "       ===> Created by:", $CreatedByuser.LookupValue, " - ", $CreatedByuser.Email ,"[", $CreatedByuser.LookupId, "]" -ForegroundColor red

if($ModifiedByuser.Email -eq "") #Admin Account to reset with the default one
			{
				$MyTempEmailAddress = $DefaultEmailAddress

$PageItem.Update()
			}
		}
	}  
}

Load-DLLandAssemblies

[string]$username = "adminAccount@[yourtenant].onmicrosoft.com"

Write-host " "

$Myctx.ExecuteQuery()

Write-Host " "
Write-Host " "

Write-host " "

Get-All-PageList-UpdateMetadata $Myctx $MyspoRootweb

Thanks all for your help.

French version of the article:

Fabrice Romelard

View solution in original post