Teachers of multiple schools

Copper Contributor

Within our MAT we have a number of schools each with their own MIS/SIS. For teachers that teach across more than one school, they'll therefore have more than one MIS/SIS staff record and hence more than one MIS/SIS ID. To prevent that staff member from having more than one AD User object (we have a single domain in a single forest for all schools) I set the SamAccountName within the MIS/SIS record for that staff member, and our custom PowerShell provisioning script tests for the presence of that username and if it exists knows not to create another AD user.

This local AD domain for all schools is then synced to our Office 365 Education tenant via Azure AD Connect. Knowing that School Data Sync requires the ID field of the student.csv and teacher.csv files to be unique, when I export the data from each school I add a suffix (via PowerShell) to the ID to ensure uniqueness. For example, let's say I have a staff member who teaches in two schools, on one MIS their ID is 24, on another MIS their ID is 35, my teacher.csv might look like this:

ID,School DfE Number,Username

School1_24,1001,FJones

School2_35,1002,Fjones

Is this a supported configuration? That is, can an Azure AD User object be matched against multiple SDS sources or must it be a one to one mapping, i.e. Can the Azure AD user target with the Mail Alias of FJones be matched to both School1_24 and School2_35 teacher SDS identities?

If an Azure AD User object can only be matched against a single SDS teacher ID, can I have multiple rows per staff definition, for example, if I post-process the school MIS outputs and consolidate the MIS/SIS IDs, is this a valid teacher.csv;

ID,School DfE Number,Username

MAT_FJones,1001,FJones

MAT_FJones,1002,Fjones

I've tried a number of combinations but keep coming up with sync errors, and before I get deeper into how SDS is architected (Administrative Units appears to be part of the answer), I thought it might save myself some time if I checked on what is or isn't actually supported.

Many thanks

Simon

3 Replies

I am doing the exact same thing. I hope that future releases allow for users to belong in more than one school.

@Simon Youngand @Paul Leach - did you ever get an answer to your questions?

A quick search on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/schooldatasync/ doesn't seem to address your scenario of "duplicate" teachers.

Maybe consider adding a suggestion to https://edu.uservoice.com/forums/602512-school-data-sync/?

@rs_oakfordI have not found a true solution. I will give the feedback site a shot.