Tenantwide Groups 'Strategy' - Experiences & Ideas?

Deleted
Not applicable

I'm putting together my company's 'Groups strategy,' and would like feedback/suggestions and others' experience with some of the O365 Groups features.

One part of the strategy is a naming policy/convention.  I'm leaning toward a standard prefix, since many/most of these will show up in the GAL and I want them grouped (so to speak  ;-)) together.  I'm also considering a 'show/hide' option in our groups/teams creation workflow, but I want to keep it short, clean, and easily recognizable.  Something like '+365-' or just '365G-'  Thoughts?

One other thing I'm looking at with the naming policy is how it interacts when a group is directly created (i.e. out of Outlook), or when it's indirectly created, such as when a new Team or Planner, or anything else that has a groups component is created.

I'm also going to mandate expiration/renewal as well as owners (if I can).  The latter will be integrated into a workflow process.

I'm also going to put up a page on our Intranet for the 'Usage Guidelines' URL.  Anyone done that yet?   Experiences?

PolicyTips should be interesting, but IDK how well they work.  Thoughts?

Finally, I want to implement a set of classifications that will hopefully permit some kind of better tracking/management of the group lifecycle process.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with any of the above, as well as whether there are some upcoming changes that will enhance any of this or bring new functionality to Groups or any Groups-enabled apps.

I've turned off the groups spigot for now until I get my controls in place, but thankfully my company has sprung for a 2nd 'Lab' tenant where I can fully develop all of these things before moving into prod.

I'll reply back here as I continue my work.  Thanks!

4 Replies

John please see this recent article from Steve Collier (Marks & Spencer): 

https://medium.com/@smcollier/self-service-in-microsoft-teams-f8a1536167bc

Great article @Christophe Fiessinger!  Addresses many parts of my plan.  Definitely going to look into the SMTP sub-domain and recipient policy for Unified Groups.

I feel like I'm starting to get my arms around the technical aspects of Groups now, and want to look into the 'Company Culture' components.  I think different companies have different levels of 'readiness' when it comes to how Teams/Groups is used and education and shifting the company culture might be just as big a part as the technical implementation for Teams/Groups to be a success.

Great to hear, BTW there is a lot of content here as well to get started: 

Office 365 Groups at Microsoft Ignite 2017

Thanks again.  I actually was at Ignite and attended a lot of the Groups/Teams sessions.