What's The Different Between "Get & Transform" and Power Query"?

Brass Contributor

are they only different in terminology and basically since o2016 its changed name as "Get & Transform"?

5 Replies
I guess so. Power Query is add-in you may download and install for Excel2013, staring from 2016 it's built-in and renamed as G&T

Correct, in 2016 it is now native and has a new name. 

I agree with the other replies and wanted to add that it seems like a small difference until the user is in a large enterprise enviroment and then add-in's might not be as welcome as a Ribbon tool that can be part of a standard deployment.

Nolan, I must say im agree with you. Add-ins are not that welcomed in larger companies.

But add-ins are also a great way to test and try the useful tools before actually launch them onto the applications. Like "Power Query" is a very good example, they tested it with couple of versions then found "right, people really do like this." Then putting them into the application to be native.

Unlike Power Query, I thought the Map add-in on Outlook were a powerful tool too, it helps users to track and predict the route between places, but it never became common I believed.

Kidd
And you can read more about Get & Transform in Excel 2016 here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-Transform-in-Excel-2016-881c63c6-37c5-4ca2-b616-59e18d7... What we did in Excel 2016 is that we integrated the Power Query technology natively into Excel. The new powerful data import, mashup and transform capabilities are now fully available under Get & Transform section on the Data tab of the ribbon.