SOLVED

Consolidating 7 different AD forests to single forest with multiple AD trees

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My organization is planning to move out from in-house Linux based Email server (Zimbra) to Cloud based Office 365(hosted Exchange). Part of this initiation I need to consolidate 7 different AD forests to a single Forest with multiple AD trees. Our organization has multiple sister companies with their own AD forest with each having single AD domain. Few forests are trusted. We have good connectivity among the sites (companies).

My challenge is to consolidate all seven AD forests to a single Forest and make the domains name routable ( match the email domain to the AD domain name and allow me to Sync to Azure AD tenant).

My plan:

1. Create a new forest with company Groupname (we have a domain name registered for this)
  2. Create 7 new AD domain trees under this Forest with new names match with their respective email domain names.
  3. Migrate existing AD Users, Groups and Computer Accounts to respective new domains
  4. Use Azure AD connect to Sync all accounts to Azure AD tenant
  5. Migrate all the mail boxes to Office 365 (hosted Exchange)

I need to validate these steps and need some recommendation on tools that available for migrating users/computers from old AD domain to new AD domain without touching end user computers.

BTW we have total of 600 computers in the organization.

Thanks, in advanced.

Charles

20 Replies

Please describe a MS AD purple forest context and security strategy 

@Charles Nanayakkara