OneNote 2016 data files location

Copper Contributor

I have OneNote 2016 for Desktop Win10 set to save data files in 

c:\Users\joe\Documents\Onenote Notebooks

but when I look there with file explorer I do not see any files.

Where are the data files?

(I do know they are also in AppData Folder, but I want then in my Documents Folder)

24 Replies

@Bob Kimbrough 

I finally found where the files are. Yes in the Onedrive folder their are short-cuts to the notebooks in OneDrive in the cloud, but as someone else said the notebooks are also maintained on a 'hidden' location on your hard drive for offline use.

If you go to the 'File' menu in Onenote 2016, on the top right you'll see an "Open Backups" icon. Click on that and it will show you where the files are stored on your local drive.

In my case they are located at:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\16.0\Backup

...Dale

@Bob Kimbrough 

Bob,

I am with you 100%.  Microsoft's network startegy has destroyed one if its best products, and now it seems to be infecting Word. I go back to my old notebooks.  The most common response I get is "not responding".  Of course networking is 100x faster than when I built these notebooks, so it does not last long, but it just shouldn't be a problem, and I have have total control.   If I want my notebook on a USB drive or an SD card I should be able to put it there, and I should know where it is.  Yes, I use dropbox a lot, and synchronize about 10 machines.  No issues, fast, always works.  Then there's Microsoft.  We switched to Apple for a couple of  years and that was a mistake.  They have the network figured out but things like "save as" are an anomoly.  Linux is like the old west.

@Bob Kimbrough 

I'm going to try this out.  The last time I called Microsoft I could not get an answer on these types of questions becasue nobody there even understood their own products.  I guess the scripting wasn't complete at the time.

/Len

@jacob hill 

This is not an "old" problem.  Its a current problem that was identified years ago and has never been fixed.  I have years of work invested in Onenote, but I have to consider the efforts as wasted time.  I was a little shocked that people are still having the same problems I did years ago.  Want to have some fun?  Ask anyone at Microsoft to identify their networking and product strategy for every version of word.  If you get the same answer twice, I will be shocked.   I tried this a year or two ago and we posted some of the responses on the wall.  The lack of knowledge is pervasive.  If we didn't have hunreds of templates done in word, we'd be long gone.  It's probably been at least a decade or more and Microsoft still can't implement a Section properly.  I keep hoping.  I view their products as untested, unmaintained code, heavily marketed, based on genius ideas that are never implemented.  I wish Digital Equipment was still around, but Congress destroyed them.

@DaleDietrich 

I created a new folder on a local drive, and put a new notebook there.  My hard drive is still thrashing.   I guess it might be that its finding all of my old notebooks and trying to make some order out of the disorder.  Most common response is "not responding" which keeps coming and going.  Perhaps it will settle down at some point.  Bottom line though is I want a local notebook with NOTHING relying on Microsoft networking.  Apparantly this cannot be done, so the platform is unreliable and subject to changes I have no control over.  My disk and the network activity finally stopped, but the interface acts like its running on an Atari or a TRS-80.  Clicking on the dropdown shows all the old notebooks, goes "unresponding" and recovers after a minute or so.  Click the title bar, "unresponding" for 20 seconds.  After all these years, Onenote still is a bloated network denizon.  Evernote has its own limitations, but t least they address them fairly rapidlly.  Apple does the best networking job, but its products are toys.  I'm off to sourceforge.net to look around.  We many fund a project...