How to implement add-in which works both in Excel and Word and has specific API requirements

Copper Contributor

Our Excel-based add-in was recently upgraded to work with both Excel and Word. Initially, we created a separate add-in for Word, but our submission was rejected and we were asked to combine both submissions into a single one:

This add-in appears to be a duplicate of your Excel add-in already submitted to AppSource. Duplicate add-ins are not permitted on AppSource. Please combine support for all clients required in one add-in submission.

We did that but immediately faced another issue. Our add-in has a dependency on WordApi 1.3 and ExcelApi 1.7. Unfortunately, there is no way to put both requirements together in the same add-in. It makes a list of supported hosts empty because none of them obviously support both APIs. So we made a submission without those requirements set in the manifest and made a comment about it in test notes. Unfortunately, our submission was rejected:

Your add-in is not working in the following: • Word 2013 client on Windows 7 • Excel 2013 client on Windows 7 (Note: The add-in framework uses Internet Explorer 11 to run the add-in) If you do not support 2013 SP1 because you are using an API only available in 2016/Online, you must put these apis in the requirements tag in your manifest.

We are in a deadlock now. It seems there is no way to meet those requirements. We sent an e-mail to Office Validation Team asking for clarification, but haven't heard back from them yet.

How do we specify that the add-in works in Office 2016 (Windows/Mac) and Office 365, but not available in Office 2013? Our App ID is 42949677685.

1 Reply

My Outlook add-in was also rejected with these messages:

Your add-in is not working in the Outlook 2013 client on Windows 7 (Note: The add-in framework uses Internet Explorer 11 to run the add-in)

If you do not support 2013 SP1 because you are using an API only available in 2016/Online, you must put these apis in the requirements tag in your manifest. If you are not using an API only available in 2016/Online, then you must support 2013 SP1.

But there is no information anywhere about exactly what I should put in the manifest. Why do they simply not state precisely what changes I need to make to my manifest rather than rejecting it and forcing me to do yet more research, spending valuable time and money?

microsoft-seller-dashboard-rejection.png