SOLVED

Drop your files here box won't go away

Brass Contributor

My normal chat bar has been replaced by the file sharing bar. How do I return to a normal chat bar??

Anthony_Jackson_0-1637064284797.png

81 Replies

for me, it was fixed by shutting down MS teams from task manager tool.

@Anthony_Jackson 

This bug is so annoying. Couple this with the multitude of other bugs and it's really making me want to persuade my organization to go back to using Slack.

@ChristianKoh This worked for me, it was a problem for me today. 

@insurance_web_dev to add further context for a hopeful fix, this occurred when opening an image that was sent to me from another team member

Same issue here.
I suppose there is no resolution from Msoft yet?

Workaround - use the pop-out button in the upper right until you have time to restart Teams. 

We are now seeing this spread throughout our organization. The temp fix and recurrence of issue is insufficient for a professional enterprise solution.

@Tim Farmer 

I just opened a support case using the help & support link in the Office 365 admin portal with the subject line "Drop your files here" and I linked to this thread in the case. Maybe if we all do the same, this issue will start to get some attention.

Have you all had any update from the ticket you opened? I just opened a ticket now and included a link to this thread. Thanks.1

@PenitentMan85 I haven't received any further reports from users about this issue and since I can't reproduce it, the support case is being closed.

press on F1 and back to your chat, works for my all the time 

@ChrisAye11 

Has anyone heard from Microsoft on this issue?

@ChristianJBergstrom 

thanks Christian that worked 

i have heard that the issue is identified with a third party component chromium. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=774976&q=dragleave&can=2 which may or may not be accurate. No idea of when a solution for the bug would be available (if it is a bug) and incorporated into Teams or if and when a workaround for the issue will be pushed to Teams but Msft is working on the issue. The bug actually happened to me yesterday for the first time.

@NateL1010 This error is happening to me now multiple times a day... it's so annoying. It's making teams almost unusable, so i don't know how you can say it doesn't exist...

@trancemonkey Can anyone replicate the problem? Im getting it multiple times a day but am unable to replicate on demand.

I can't replicate on demand - it almost seems "random" (though it likely isn't) - i'll keep an eye out for when it's happening to see if there is a pattern... i've tried dragging files "over" teams to another window to see if that does it, but it doesn't... if i figure something out, i'll respond here

The long-term fix to this problem is to clear the Teams cache.  The process varies a bit, depending on what device you are using Teams on.  For example, on an Android device you would follow these steps: 

"How to clear Microsoft Teams' cache on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app and tap Storage, and then Apps.
  2. Find Teams in the list of apps and tap it.
  3. Select the Clear cache option.   "

[ https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/clear-teams-cache , 11/15/22 ]

How to clear Microsoft Teams' cache on Windows 10

"Hello

"My name is Veejay, I'm an Independent Advisor.

"To clear your Teams desktop app cache:
1. Sign out on Teams > Quit Microsoft Teams by right clicking the icon and select Quit.
2. On your keyboard, Hold Windows key and Press R
3. Cut and paste %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams in the RUN then OK.
4. Delete the contents of the entire folder.
5. Restart Device > Restart Microsoft Teams > Sign In.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concern."
Thank you

Veejay

[https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/clear-cache/0810ce4f-af14-4269-b01f-adc89a0af... , 11/15/2022 ]

@Anthony_Jackson 

@Matty_Boy You may have missed the clarification that it is a recurring issue for some users even after clearing the Teams cache. This is confirmed in my organization.