Embedding Stream videos outside Office environment

Copper Contributor

In Stream (Classic), users have the ability to generate embed (iframe) code. This enables users to embed the videos in environments outside the Office suite - such as in blogs and web sites. As an HE institution, we encourage our instructors to use this feature to embed the videos in their online courses. This is so students do not need to leave the LMS environment to view the videos. Has anyone seen whether or not an embed feature will be added to SharePoint and OneDrive for Business to replace the feature as it exists currently in Stream (Classic)?

28 Replies

We're also working with videos in a Canvas environment. Looks like you may need to set permissions in SharePoint so that users can view the video. The iframe (embed) code directs users to the location of the video but does not contain permissions for viewing it. These have to be set in SharePoint. So basically this is a two-pronged process: (1) grant viewing permissions in SharePoint to a specific individual or group and then (2) generate the embed code and add that to a Canvas page. Now those with permission will be able to view the video. All others will be told that they do not have access.

Here's a good tutorial that someone posted to another Stream on SharePoint discussion:

https://youtu.be/5B13u_-N0zI

They have now asked me to create a fiddler file trough SaRa reproducing the issue...
I'm not to sure if the file is useful to them as it's only 6kb in size...

I also provided them with steps to reproduce the issue themselves.

I feel as if they are just trying to keep me busy as I already provided enough information to either solve it or just tell me that it won't be fixed.
@Baardaap join the Stream Product Team Office Hours and ask there. Bring your support ticket number so that they can look it up and give you some guidance.

https://aka.ms/StreamConnect to register to join the call.
Thanks @williamdw I have seen that video and the critical step is sharing to the Group "everyone except external users". We have that group disabled here for security reasons so I think that means we cannot embed the videos successfully.
I assume those environments use oembed functionality from stream classic to retreive the iframe code. For other services sometimes the preview URL can be derived from the original. In this case we need the meta data UniqueId, assuming this is the driveItem id, or from an object representing the share related to the driveItem. Just adding this since I havn't seen this mentioned in detail. Hopefully this is addressed in the ticket @Baardaap has initiated?

@marcobus don't know if I understood you correctly but I don't think this is mentioned in my ticket as my issue with the placement of the cookies for authentication on sharepoint that can't happen trough the Iframe. Once a user has authenticated on sharepoint the issue is gone but since we dont use sharepoint the user is unlikely to have these cookies in place.

In any case my ticket has been put on ice as the issue now lays with 'the product team'. 

I have given up on the issue or a solution for it as support was worse than terrible... Seems the hostingprovider will do an update soon that will allow embedding so that should solve it for me.

@Baardaap I think you will find that the product team will be more helpful than general support was. They have been very responsive to people who have joined the office hours they hold. You can sign up for those and talk to the team directly at https://aka.ms/StreamConnect.
quick question: why did Microsoft create this "new" version of Stream that is exponentially less intuitive, less useful, and doesn't have any of the features of stream classic? Almost daily tasks I used to complete in Classic Stream are now either impossible because the features I used all the time are gone, or it takes me three times longer to complete. New Stream is awful. Absolutely terrible. And now it won't allow me to even go back to Classic to complete my work. It forces me into Stream on SharePoint. Ugh.

@katyg9551 although I may not be Marc Mroz, I did a presentation on this topic back in December. I would be interested in what daily tasks you are doing that have become difficult. It DOES take a new mindset on how to manage files to get comfortable with this, but once you are able to make the paradigm shift in thinking, you find that it really is the same or better - and it keeps getting better all the time. I know I was just preparing a demo to use tomorrow on using the new Stream and I had a lot of fun with the new recording features that are available that we did not have previously in the classic version. 

I did a talk on how to create a Stream portal on SharePoint, but session hasn't been posted yet or I would point you in that direction. In the meantime. . . maybe there is something I can help you with that would make things smoother for you? Once you understand how things work in SharePoint, I think it will not seem so difficult and you will start to find improvements over classic Stream.