MS Teams in Cross-Tenant synchronization

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I am using Cross-Tenant synchronization (preview) to synchronize two tenants (A and B).

I have created a configuration to send the users from Tenant A to Tenant B.

In the "Provision Azure Active Directory Users" mapping, the "Usertype" attribute is set to Member and in the "showInAddressList" attribute is set to True.

After these settings, in outlook the migrated users appear in the GAL/search bar and work perfectly, showing data, status and sending e-mails normally. In Microsoft Teams, the migrated users appear in the GAL with all their data, but no status and the messages do not arrive at their destination.

Is this normal for the tool? If yes, is there any way to hide these migrated users only in Ms Teams?

I am worried about the end user sending messages to these migrated users and not being able to contact them.

Regards,

26 Replies
This is still a complete cluster F. I have a paid support call opened with Teams, and it went round and round and its now at a stage were its with the developer team they say, yet they said that earlier as well and it wasn't. Because the cross-sync creates the contact on the receiving tennant as something like email address removed for privacy reasons#@companyxyz.microsoftonline.com along with the email address that is correct say email address removed for privacy reasons, it works fine in Outlook and Sharepoint, but cluster F teams finds the #@companyxyz.microsoftonline.com and sends it to that instead of the external email address. This then creates a email request for the other user to accept an invitation to the newcompany's tenant and will give you a second teams account to login. When and if that works (As more often then not it will not work at all and no invites are sent and its just a big hole) users then must switch back and forth in Teams to see messages and get into groups on the other tenant. Its a complete mess for users as they will not and do not get why they must do this, and if they have already connected with them using a email address in teams and its already resolved to "External user" then it gets even more confusing for them. It gets better once Sharepoint sites are also being shared, depending on your address book you might already have two contacts in their and if you share with the wrong name then the end user can't access the Sharepoint site or file and just gets another error. We had to remove the cross-sync (And remove is key as just reducing the scope of synced users will cause other issues as the sync will remove contacts you created in the other tenant as it see's they were not authorized to be synced and will helpfully remove them for you). All in all a cluster F.

Having the same issue. I have to say the multi tenant implementation for teams has always been terrible but this actually makes it worse.

With the new teams client at least messages delivered to the "other" teams instance cause a windows notification by default so users know they are there but when you are talking about thousands of users all working on something so non-intuitive it generates hundreds of SD calls.

The cross tenant sync generally is exactly what we need for resource access, gal visibility for exchange etc but this issue completely destroys the experience.

@FrankvanZandwijk same issue being faced, still not solution

Just tested. This is still broken. Please, Microsoft, get this fixed. It's such an unbelievable pain point.

Looks like the newly announced Multi-tenant organization preview feature is aimed at solving this:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/announcing-more-seamless-collaboration-i...

Currently testing it but it takes quite some time for things to propagate (up to 7 days for users to show in Teams search according to official documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/plan-multi-tenant-org-overview?view=o365-...)

@FrankvanZandwijk 

did you have any luck with testing the Multi-tenant org? We are having this same issue and were just reading the docs. Just wanted to see if it's worth trying. 

@AHochste13 

Things are improved (such as the search functionality) but its evident this is still very much a preview feature meaning there are still cases where a user may end up chatting with a guest account. At least Teams recognizes this now (in most cases, I've had some bugs with previously synced accounts but that could be a matter of time and letting things sync) and gives the user a warning banner:

FrankvanZandwijk_1-1694067073944.png

I've found a couple other 'gotcha's', for example, in Outlook these synced users show up properly in the GAL but pushing the call button from there still directs Teams to the guest account and not the external address:

FrankvanZandwijk_2-1694067283863.png

This means that users still need to know how to switch tenants within Teams. It's likely these sorts of things will get sorted out in time but its anyone's guess how long that will take.

I strongly recommend setting this up in a test environment or rolling it out to a small set of test users to verify this will work for you organization as it may be 'good enough'.

Hope that helps!