O365 Groups and its related content (Plan, Files, etc.) when Group Owner leaves the organization?

Copper Contributor

Can someone please let me know if the content gets deleted when a user who is a group owner leaves the company or his O365 license gets unaissigned? Will the data be deleted? Or will it stay forever? Thank you in advance!!

24 Replies
Agree...and in Teams we have a similar scenario, don't we? Teams are built on top of Groups and all the conversations happens as chats that are not stored in EXO

Yes, and the same situation exists in Planner where plan metadata is not stored in EXO or SPO. But Teams is a worse example by far because many of the chats in Teams are likely to be of interest in a compliance action. This week I was at the LegalTech conference in NYC and there were many firms there presenting tools to capture/record/monitor chat-like conversations across a variety of technologies like Bloomberg messaging. Teams is now in that category and it's a concern.

I would highly recommend to study the Ignite session about the Yammer changes, Tony.

I have... but it has not changed my view.

When the data governance framework extends to Yammer, the hole will be closed and all will be well. But it's not closed at present, so the issue remains.