To create a document format that support very large files

To create a document format that support very large files

Upvotes

Upvote

May 19 2021
0 Comments 
New

Hi,

I was previously looking to determine the maximum size of a document on Word, and I found the approximate size file of 32Mb.

I would like to suggest a new document format (or a revision of the current format, or a revision of how Word - and other Microsoft 365 applications - read the files) that support exceptionally large files.

I understand pdf files have no such limit, but Word files have.

I'm writing a book and it has become somewhat long. And it has been difficult to work on it using Word. I am considering using LATEX instead, but LATEX has some disadvantages. My preference would be Word.

I believe that Word could work on something modular that would allow the document file to be read in parts somehow so it wouldn't slow the showing and processing of the document. I guess there are features on the current document format that makes necessary the processing of the whole document (like the page numbering for instance) but I still believe that those processing could be somehow processed by parts. I guess the best scenario would be an update on Word since it wouldn't require a revision of the document format, so we wouldn't have to change anything.

I hope someone could supply some solution for this problem. I'm not sure if this is the right channel.

I understand a lot of people has the same issue. The problem could also show up on basic computer configurations since they are slower.

Regards,

Alfredo.