What's the purpose of collections when you have bookmarks?

Brass Contributor

If you find something interesting on web, you could just bookmark it, I don't for what purpose collections could be used [also collections don't work offline] For what purposes do you guys use collections?

23 Replies

@HotCakeX  Is there a way I can highlight certain text and add markups on a webpage and add the whole page to "Collections" with my highlights and markups still on the page?  Often times I want to highlight different sections of webpages and add markups or notes to the webpage or article, and want to add the webpage or article to "Collections" keeping all my highlights and markups and notes.  Is there any way to do this?

Basically, collections are more site bookmarks. Once the light dawns, you can start shelving things again for your own desktop layout preferences in groupings or categories. As with offline so online with Edge Bing; instead of having just one location for folder items, variety of shelves provide what you store where with your own organizational clerical skills.
Ok. Not sure I grasped the functional difference. I use collections in place of bookmarks. They function the same to me just different steps. I guess I need to dig in more on collections and what we can do. I love them. Downside is they don’t import anywhere. Nothing is like it outside of MS so I can’t port them if I move on.

I group bookmarks like I group collections. I’m missing a key function of collections then

Thanks for the note
I was very keen and made extensive use of Collections. However Microsoft has mysteriously removed essential features like sorting collections (I numbered mine to create a sort order) and creating a new collection from a tab group. It has also
added a 'suggestion' feature that gives few useful suggestions for me and which others, like me, regard as pointless (see recent discussions). As seems typical, this annoyingly cannot be switched off other than by logging out and losing the sync facility.