On prem Azure DevOps 2022.1 Patch 1 - unable to download attachments for some work items

Copper Contributor

Hello-

Running on prem Azure DevOps 2022.1 Patch 1.  My users have found some attachments for work items that we're unable to download.  We're getting this error:

{
"$id": "1",
"innerException": null,
"message": "TF237136: File attachment does not exist, or you do not have permissions to read it.",
"typeName": "Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Server.AttachmentNotFoundException, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Server",
"typeKey": "AttachmentNotFoundException",
"errorCode": 602204,
"eventId": 3200
}

Looking through the history, no one has deleted these attachments.  I'm able to add a new attachment for these work items and the new attachment is accessible.

It's not a permissions issue- I have admin privs and am getting the error.

Has anyone seen this or have a suggestion on how to retrieve the attachment?

Many thanks.

13 Replies
To whom it may concern, users reported our Azure DevOps Server is having the same issue. It is not every Work Item or every Attachment on a given Work Item. But I have found a large number so far. Like the OP, I am the administrator, so it is not a permission issue. We upgraded the version of Azure DevOps Server to 2022.1 RC2 over a month ago from 2019 and this is the first report of this issue.
FYI, we have a ticket open with Microsoft. Hopefully we will find our way to a solution soon.
I have done some digging in the Azure DevOps Server database and have not found all the attachment objects yet but I'll post if I find any useful information.

Thanks,
Brian

I am OP and have not received a response.

@ALind51 

May raise a support ticket to Microsoft for this case

I worked with MS on a call for one session at the end of last week. No new news out of that session or other contacts.
FYI, our Microsoft Support contact continues to stay in touch with us. The issue has been escalated to relevant teams and a solution is being formulated. Nothing new beyond that to report.
@brianstrick9 Is there a developer community entry you can share a link to?

thx
I only have email correspondence with MS. I'm not aware of any links tracking a ticket.

FYI, our contact said they are aware of several cases. I have also relayed issues we have had with the MS Data Migration Tool (looking at moving to Azure DevOps Services) and patches that have come out since our Nov '23 upgrade that will not apply to our instance.
We got a fix back from MS. Our contact, Luis, explained that he was able to reproduce the issue by specifically updating to Azure DevOps Server version 2022.1. This update unset a feature flag and he sent us a SQL Script to reset the flag. His instruction was to run the script below on both the configuration and collection databases. After I did so, I was able to download or preview all of the WI attachments in a test set that I was unable to before. Here is the script that I ran in SSMS ...

EXEC prc_SetRegistryValue 1, '#\FeatureAvailability\Entries\WorkItemTracking.Server.AllowAccessToDeletedAttachments\AvailabilityState\', 1

Hopefully you understand the risk of running scripts from strangers like me and take precautions before doing anything I have presented here.

Thanks everyone for raising attention on this issue. I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Brian

@brianstrick9 

did you get any info if this will be fixed with an update for all of us?

@CD_Alexanderw Eventually they will release a fix in upcoming patches since is affecting several users, maybe if you open a ticket you will get more prompt answer for this!