Export and Link Access Query to SharePoint Online

Iron Contributor

Hello.

I asked support this question but they've gone missing in "Inaction". I've done research on this issue and get the typical lame hits about linking tables. Hopefully A.I. will be properly able to answer our questions. ANYWAY:

I have an Access database with 3 tables linked to a junction table for a many to many relationship.
I want to either:

1. link it to SharePoint Online so I can create an updatable PowerApps app AND/OR (meaning when data is updated in Access or SharePoint, the data is synced)
  2. Export/link the data directly to a PowerApps app. (probably cant happen, it's only 2021 and even though Microsoft 365 is integrated.............it's actually not.

I'm not really seeing any advanced integration other than a simple export of a table to SharePoint or creating the table in Access then exporting it to SharePoint then deleting it in Access and importing the SharePoint list back into Access as a linked table. (?????really??? No that's not convoluted at all).

I take it it's integrated for the sake of putting the buzz word in ads but in reality, the integration is not really that sophisticated.

Moreover, I don't see a connection available to Microsoft Access in Microsoft PowerApps either. Facetiously, thank god there's a connection available to Google Sheets, Marketo or some other non-Microsoft source. Yes sireee.

Obviously I have a query I can "export" to SharePoint and then create a PowerApps app based on that but as is typical with MSFT stuff, anytime you want to take something to the next level, you can't.

When data is updated in Access, the query doesnt get updated in SharePoint. If you save the export process and run that off code or macro welllllll, you don't get to update the list in SharePoint. Now you get to have a new list with a sequenced number in the title. NOT AT ALL USEFUL OR FUNCTIONAL. WHO WOULD NEED THAT?????

Am I asking a data question for something that's far too sophisticated for this Microsoft 365 Business in 2021?? Looks like I'm siloed into Access.

If I export all the tables to SharePoint Lists, I can then go through the hassle of linking to them from Access but now I'm locked because you can't create a query with a local junction table and linked tables. As per usual, EVERYTIME, (and I mean EVERYTIME) I try and create anything, there are ALWAYS these little gotchas that require some ridiculous hack or workaround.

20 Replies

@Carl_Williams 

Good luck to your with your project. I apologize for offending you.