AzureAD SSO: What would cause Office 365 ProPlus to require re-authentication?

Copper Contributor

AzureAD Connector SSO is enabled.

One of the Business stakeholders at my customer site was annoyed that he receive a prompt to re-authenticate popups from his Office 365 ProPlus suite.   A few months ago we had to change subscriptions which broadly caused all support personnel to assist User's at their desktops to re-activate Office 365 ProPlus.

After the long holiday weekend the stakeholder logged into his running desktop session and saw popups to re-authenticate office.

His password has not changed recently.  What would cause the Authentication popup?

Thanks, Stu

2 Replies

Hey @Stuart Schifter,

I have seen this from time to time and I would not worry about it too much as long as they could log in.

How Pro Plus works is it essentially tries to login every time the application boots up. It then stores that successful login and deviceID inside of its logs both on the back end of O365, and in the application itself. Inside of the application, the authentication stays good for 30 days, at which point if it has not checked in again, it will go into a reduced functionality mode, where you can open and view documents, for instance, but not edit them.

Because this tries to re-auth with every login, I have noticed that at times, especially in larger organizations, sometimes it just wants you to re-enter in your credentials. For instance at my last job, a company of about 8000 people, I probably got the prompt every other week or so.

Let the client know its ok, and somewhat normal. You can then load up their subscription in Office 365 and verify the devices/systems he has connected to his proplus to make him feel better about the situation.

Check out the "managing active installs" in this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-licensing-and-activation-in-office-365-pro...

Adam

You could look at the sign in logs and see if there was an error and if so, that might have been the issue. Basically the tokens either expired or were invalid and so needed replacing