What is the purpose of Shared document library in Sharepoint communication site and Microsoft Teams

Copper Contributor

Hello,

What is the purpose of Shared document library in SharePoint communication/Team site and Microsoft Teams site created when Microsoft teams is created?

Best

T

3 Replies
A place to store your documents

When you create a Team and a channel, each channel becomes a folder there

@tom_s1865 A Teams-connected SharePoint site is created automatically whenever you create a team in Microsoft Teams.

By default this SharePoint site will have a document library named Documents (Shared Documents) where you can add shared files which can be used/co-authored by your team members. This will be added to the Files tab in Microsoft Teams.

In Teams, the Files tab on each standard channel inside a team is connected to a folder in the parent site's default document library. The Files tab on each private and shared channel is connected to the default document library in the corresponding channel site. Whenever you add or update a file on the Files tab, you are accessing the SharePoint site.

Check below Microsoft documentations, these will help you with all your questions:

1. Overview of Teams and SharePoint integration 
  2. Should I store my files in Microsoft Teams or in SharePoint? An understanding of behind the scenes 
  3. Create a team site in SharePoint 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.