Knowledge Base - setting up within O365/Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone, yes I agree the O365 suite is a great tool for organisational knowledge management and collaboration. However, I have not found any official guidelines on a way to set up a knowledge base/Wiki type structure, that achieves what is offered by other software. I'm thinking that Sharepoint would be the ideal place, but am interested to hear from this community on what has been done, tried and any tips for new players. Thanking you in advanced!

34 Replies

Did you all try the KB in the modern UI? If so, how did it go? I am looking to build a KB for our IT team and really could use some direction on where to start in this modern environment. 

We have been evaluating the methodology based upon some changes within existing libraries.  So far, the results are favorable.  This week we started our first project to create a KB using modern library pages within a document center.  As mentioned in one of the previous posts, there is lot of planning we need to do, to accomplish our end goal. 

I hope to have some positive results to share within a few weeks. 

Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted on the results! 

I have not found an intuitive way to manage a Knowledge base with Office 365, however, Confluence by Atlassian has an out of the box capability which I wish Office would mimic.

HI Merritte,

This thread's been quiet for a while. How did you go with your implementation? I'm looking at setting up the same scenario.

Cheers, Mark

Mark, so far I would say using the SP Modern library updated features to present the MSWord pages in page view is working well.  Not perfect, but better than anything else we have tried.  We did spend some time planning this out and have setup it up with a document numbering system with a three (3) letter prefix, Section Titles, and sub section titles.  This combined with some defined metadata fields are proving to work well.  All of which feed nicely into SP's search function.  

Our need pushed us to keeping documents grouped by topic and in a logical order, which drove the numbering, titles, and sub titles.  

One thing we did was to provide blocks of number between startup documents to allow us to slip additional document into the mix.  The use of the dot (100.001) also allows us to create additional document in between existing documents if needed.  We based a lot of our concept of ARINC document generation as these documents are continually updated and having pages added.  They may be worthwhile looking at.   

When sorted properly the library itself looks like a table of contents.  However, we do keep an excel sheet for tracking and helping to place new documents into the mix.  Once we are more comfortable with the scheme, we might be able to eliminate the excel file.  

At this time we have 200 plus MSWord files in the library.  The nice thing, most everyone involved knows how to use work, and with a little training they can learn the proper way to add the information to a template and not create a page like it was created on a manual or electric typewriter.  Much eaiser than working with Wiki pages.  

This is an excellent post, thank you!! What is ARINC -- is that the airline industry?

Can you explain a bit more on "presenting MSWord documents in page view"?

Thanks,
Rob.

ARINC is an organization started by the Airlines in 1929 and was owned by the airline until a few years ago.  The ARINC (Aeronautical Radio, Incorporate) organization was developed to create standards for line replaceable aircraft electronics which would allow them to use the same equipment between aircraft type and customers.  ARINC is now a part of SAE ITC.  

One early on ARINC activity was to develop standards for creating manuals, documents, and specifications.  

To open a MSWord document from within a library in Page view set the library to  Advance setting for "Opening Document in the Brower" as "Use the server default (Open in browser)."  This opens the MSWord document in a full page view, including header and footer.  You can then scroll through page after page.  

I should note, that MS continues to change the way these library views work.  At one time we had the ability to jump to the next or previous document, which was nice and handy.  We now have to close the existing file and open the next file from the library list.  This is where the use of filtering based upon the titles and metadata comes in handing allowing us to pull similar topic/subject files into the library view.  

Hope this helps.  Try it out on a small test project before jumping in too deep.

Thanks Merritte for the detailed response. Very interesting way of attacking the problem. Looks like you have a great solution for your team. I really like the idea of MSWord pages in page view as they can deliver much richer content as you state. I'll look into it, thanks again.

Cheers, Mark

Great solution! Also i would like to see if Microsoft can make this Techcommunity as a Site template in SharePoint. This would be very helpful in creating a knowledge community, organize information and for user engagement.

I like your idea bout making this a SP Site template. I know we would use it.

Taken right from SharePoint Maven

@Julie Sanders  - The problem with what you proposed is the amount of admin overhead that take to keep that current or to ensure ppl have the correct permission set.

I dislike post-necro, but we followed a similar footprint as the one mentioned here, but had to get away from managed metadata as a sorting mechanism.  The simple truth and reasoning behind it is our need for old school workflows that modify the title and tagging after the document is submitted.  Yes we could incorporate the new "Flows" integration, but much of our SharePoint site was brought over from a legacy on-prem deployment that now has to coincide with what apps and controls MS allows us to have.

Instead of using MM, we use separate lists with choices, which allows us to customize the views using grouping and sorting. 

The final product is a living document repository with a dynamic master document control list (instead of having to use a static excel spreadsheet).  We have undergone a few ITIL audits where this type of file management has prevented several non-conformities, where human error and oversight would have occurred without the dynamic structure.

(Plus the best part is, with the dynamic headers on all documents pulling from the SharePoint document properties, they will always be printed (if necessary) with the accurate information.)  There was heavy setup time on my part (about 70+ hours) but a similar solution through Bamboo will net you around 500$US residual.

I used this article for creating a KB on SharePoint: https://sharepointstuff.com/2021/05/12/how-to-build-a-knowledge-base-in-sharepoint/
It's pretty effective, but I find the PnP search add in pretty fiddly. Anyone out there who can help?

Also, wouldn't it be GREAT if Microsoft could supply a Knowledge Base Template as part of their default collection? After all, this is a very popular feature.