SOLVED

IT Helpdesk comments "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user"

Copper Contributor

Seeing this error when trying to update comments in a IT helpdesk app. Wondering if some list or something was deleted and how I'd go about recreating and linking to it? Rather new to SharePoint sorry if this is an easy thing.

TyBem_0-1709676584826.png

3 Replies
best response confirmed by TyBem (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I had this happen to me last week. I had deleted an unused column in the SP List and it started acting up. Couldn't create new views via the modern UI even, but could via List Settings. After a day or two and a browser refresh it went away on its own. I'm sure that's not entirely helpful, but sometimes weird things happen with the modern UI and then clear themselves up.

@TyBem If item is available in SharePoint list, you should be able to add list comments.

Try:

1. Refreshing the browser tab --> Ctrl + F5 or Ctrl + R
  2. Clearing browser cache and cookies (For "All time") and re-login to SharePoint.
  3. If above does not work for you, try raising support ticket with Microsoft directly: Get M365 Support - Online Support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

First, delve into identifying the missing component. This means examining the app's documentation or its settings to figure out which list or library it's trying to access but can't find. Sometimes, the specifics about what the app relies on can be found in the settings or mentioned in any guide provided with the app. Then, it's wise to investigate the site's recycle bin. There's a chance that the missing element was accidentally deleted and can still be recovered. If you spot the needed list or library there, restoring it is quite straightforward.

However, if restoration isn't an option because the item isn't in the recycle bin, recreating it becomes necessary. Refer back to any documentation for the app to ensure the new list or library matches what was lost, both in structure and in purpose. Following that, ensuring the app is properly linked to the newly created component is crucial. This might require some adjustments within the app's settings or the SharePoint list/library settings to reestablish the connection. Finally, testing is key. Try updating comments again or performing the action that previously triggered the error to confirm the issue is resolved.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TyBem (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I had this happen to me last week. I had deleted an unused column in the SP List and it started acting up. Couldn't create new views via the modern UI even, but could via List Settings. After a day or two and a browser refresh it went away on its own. I'm sure that's not entirely helpful, but sometimes weird things happen with the modern UI and then clear themselves up.

View solution in original post