01-26-2017 08:41 AM
01-26-2017 08:41 AM
We have various Team sites in SharePoint Online, each with a OneNote, which opens fine in OneNote Online. If I send a link to the Notebook or click on 'Open in oneNote', it won't open in OneNote 2016. I get a generic message saying something like "We couldn't open that locations or it doesn't exist" or something like that. If I go into OneNote and though the Open dialog, navigate to the OneNote, it can open it fine, its just the link that doesn't connect.
I have Office 2013 (and thus Onenote 2013) and the link works fine for me; it just seem to be a problem for anyone with OneNote 2016. They do have the desktop verison set as their default OneNote App.
I did see problems a few years ago when we upgraded from Office 2010 to 2013; if you didn't upgrade every application , you had problems opening Word or Excel files. I wonder if this is the same?
Has anyone else seen this?
Do you have a solution?
(Apologies if its posted in the wrong community),
01-26-2017 01:13 PM
01-26-2017 11:56 PM
Yes, people are logged in with their organisational account to both OneNote and SPO,
01-27-2017 01:25 AM
Once I had a similar issue - still don't know the reason, but it had something to do with caching of the affected notebook in the rich client. The solution was simply to close the notebook in the rich client (this removing it from the rich client's notebook list), after which the "Open in Onenote" method worked again.
01-31-2017 06:45 AM
06-27-2018 05:23 AM
I was able to fix this issue with the below steps:
- Launched the SharePoint Files in Explorer.
- Manually launched all the OneNote Notebook (.onetoc2) files to link with the OneNote 2016, was able to launch/Sync.
- Initiated a Sync via File << Info << View Sync Status, was able to update all the Notebook.
- Created a section in Online OneNote to check the Sync with OneNote Client 2016 and vice versa, was able to see the newly created Sections.
07-06-2018 12:34 AM
Thanks for the reply and apologies for not updating this. The problem did go away with an office update, so it seems there was a fix applied by Microsoft. Whenever anyone had the problem, we got them to update to the latest MS Office version and that seems to fix it.