SOLVED

Teams Mobile App for Android Showing Unread Chats which is wrong

Steel Contributor

It was 1 unread chat that I could not get rid of and now it's 2.  There are NO unread chats (I've gone through literally every single one and opened them, there is nothing in bold).  I've cleared the cache for the app.

Is the only fix for this to keep signing out then back in for my account?  I've logged onto teams.microsoft.com and there are no unread chats.  The app is also missing a lot of chats.

36 Replies
Same issue here. Have had chat message read/hidden statuses out of sync since last year, but clearing Teams out of Android's recent apps switcher would fix it.

However, it's gotten irreversibly worse in the past two months. My Teams desktop clients have 3 unhidden chats and no unread messages. My Android app though? 29 chats, and 6 are showing unread badges for chats I have already read/hidden on the desktop weeks ago.

PAIN.
I uninstalled the app completely 2 days ago and already it now shows 3 unread chats from yesterday that I keep having to manually open so the mobile app doesn't show unread.

Add that to the fact that I cannot disable the Calls notification (even if ALL notifications are turned off my phone still rings when someone calls my Teams number) I might just have to remove the app completely and use my laptop. Ridiculous.
I was having the same issue and was pretty disappointed that folks were saying clearing the app data didn't fix it.

However, I tried, logged out, and cleared the cache and data of the app (Android).
Signed in fresh and all the "unread" chat counts were gone for now. I'm sure I will accumulate them again but at least this removed the 99+ count.
I had another issue with my phone that caused it to do a factory reset, after that i have not had the issue with the notifications.
I did not touch the installation on other my Laptop, Surface or home PC.
This is just unacceptable. I need to keep history of chats. When can we expect this to be fixed?

Hello all, sorry you are running into this issue. We are rolling out a fix in latest version "1416/1.0.0.2022223102" and above. This update is currently rolling out and will be available to all in a few days if not already. Thanks!

@Tushar Pathak 

Have just updated to that version (416/1.0.0.2022223102), and problem persists - still have an unread chat count; but no unread messages.  Seems the fix hasn't worked.

I updated to 1416/1.0.0.2022232401 via the beta program. Same old issue is still occurring.

Same as @JamesRT, not fixed.
Interesting! Can you send me a screenshot of the issue directly to me?
I have noticed that my unread messages, all comes from Meeting recordings being available in the "chat" from that meeting.
These do not appear on my desktop teams client as unread messages and on the phone they do not "jump to the top" they stay far down the list,

If i then go to the Desktop app and find the meeting chat (that is shown as read) and select it again. Then it turns to read on the mobile as well.

So it seems, at least for my case, that its meeting records that are not considered "unread" when made available in the chat on Desktop App, but they are "unread" when they appear in the chat on the mobile app.

normal chat messages has stopped showing incorrect notifications between desktop and mobile app.
Your observation is correct. In the latest Android build 1:1, group chat synchronization issue is fixed.
Meeting recording message stays unread is known and a fix will be rolling out soon.
I'm on the latest build and opened Teams app and it shows 6 unread chats. None of them are meeting chats. 0 unread in desktop or web version.
Existing chats that are unread may not automatically clear but you shouldn't run into this issue with new incoming chats.

Might take a cache/data clearing and reinstall for this fix to actually apply, though. That appears to be the only thing post-update that finally made my mobile app keep track of read/hidden messages from the desktop apps.

EDIT: Can also confirm I'm seeing meeting entries stick around as explained by Tushar.

@Tushar Pathak ; slightly annoyingly, the organisational policy pushed to the phone via MDM prevents screenshots.

However, more usefully, I found that by signing out and then back into the teams app on the phone, the problem resolved.

2024 and the issue is still there...

Would be nice to be able to see Unread conversations only (like with the Unread notifications filter)

@y0y4y0 @JamesRT

It's wild that this is been going on for this long.