Open file in desktop app by default

Iron Contributor

Is there a (custom) way to open office files in the respective office desktop app by default (e.g. Excel)?

mikkele_0-1586356874123.png

At the moment when clicking on the file it opens in Teams

mikkele_1-1586356935000.png

51 Replies

Hi @mikkele 

By default Microsoft Teams Application will provide you with all the Three Options. This was an added request for co-authoring the document using the different methods.

I am sure we cannot make one single options as a Default Method.

With Regards,

Satish U

@RealTime_M365 Can we turn OFF the Open in Desktop App option?

Hi @Ro345 

Unfortunately No. We cannot turn off the option.

With Regards,

Satish U 

@RealTime_M365 do you mean you can not change what is the default as the OP stated, open in TEAMS app is already the default.

I would like to set the Desktop-app default instead of the user unfriendly teams-app. Is that possible?

@Dirkvanmanen 

Me too. Seems odd this is not possible as you can actually set this in two locations in sharepoint 1. from the site level 2, from the library level. 

@RealTime_M365 , allowing the user to select either of the three methods makes sense. Would it be possible to allow the user to select how documents should open by default? I use the office apps all the time as they have superior functionality and I would prefer to be able to open documents in the app simply by clicking on the document rather than selecting from the dropdown.

-Arvid

@ArvidCarlander Hi Arvid, this is coming soon. You can vote on the UserVoice to stay updated when status changes https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18391150-open-in-word-excel-po...

@Dirkvanmanen P.L.S solve this issue , I and my colleagues are so frustrate, that the web tools is the std opening tool for Office 365 files.

The same issue apply for links to files in i.e Planner.

To be forced to first to open the file in the web and when open in the proper app takes some time , and you get so "angry" every time you get forced to do that.
So please solve this.

Yes, PLEASE fix this.  Though I was tolerant at first, it is now beyond annoying to have to click to open files in desktop apps.  The default should be allowed to be changed to always open in the Desktop (fully functional) version.  I don't mind a quickview of what the file is but I don't want the file to open in the teams version and then have to open the desktop app.  

Please.

@Mike1sMike I would add your votes to the Uservoice that @ChristianBergstrom posted above, that's where user requirements are captured, not here.

This feature should be a must.

(This is a message for MS User Voice and Development teams. Maybe what I suggest is already ongoing) 

Yes, there is much UX to be done all across MS365 programs.

User voice and tech community are a great thing. Please keep going.

But maybe at MS you should get a nice group of contributors. There are lots of constructive people participating. Have you contacted them/us for UX? Having good designs from the beginning may be faster (overall), more satisfactory for devs and users than having to change frustrating features that will be deeply integrated in the system.

@EduardoSR Word and excel open on Desktop app in certain teams site and channels but not every site. Do you know if there is a setting in Teams or SharePoint?

@apatel3 No. They were working on it, but now you cannot change the default behaviour.

The idea is ranked the 15th at teams with more than 9000 votes... but MS thought it is not a priority

@EduardoSR My users just showed me that it work on of the teams channel. User is accessing it from her onedrive. 

@apatel3 

Maybe they are opening the sharepoint view from teams and then opening with their preferences.

But from teams, I haven't found the way to change the default open

@EduardoSR 

I figured out this work around... as with all workarounds, there are some limitations...

if you it the "+" and select Sharepoint,any sharepoint site then paste a sharepoint URL in the following style...
https://yourcompany.sharepoint.com/sites/sitename/Shared Documents/General
it will "replicate" the files tab, but all excel and word files will open in app, NOT Teams.

you can also add to the URL to use a subfolder if you want

you also need to make sure that the actual sharepoint site is setup to open in default apps.

Is there any technical reason why we can't have an option in settings of:
"Default behaviour when opening known file type" and choices of "Edit in Teams", "Open in app", "Open in browser" ?

Because that's not removing any options. The "..." is still there next to the file in teams to open the context menu and select "Open >" and choose a different option if the user wants. It's just changing the current hardcoded behaviour when a user double clicks a file in teams, which is currently edit in teams, to one of the other open options by default.

I've been in UX for 20 years now, and I'm trying to figure out why we can't change the default "open in" behaviour, and the only reason I can figure is a technical one, because it certainly isn't a UX one.

@apatel3 

There is in SharePoint such option thank God: 

Tomick_0-1616673722666.png