SOLVED

New Teams - Backgrounds Folder

Brass Contributor

Recently, Microsoft released the new version of Teams for businesses, allowing the option to move end users to the new version or keep them on classic mode.

However, one thing we've noticed is that the "Backgrounds" folder is no longer present in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams.

Does anyone know where this folder went?

14 Replies

Hello  

welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Yakubu Suleman I'll be happy to help you today.

I understand that you want to know where the background folder in the new teams folder is located.

To access the new teams backgrounds folder, you need to:
Close and sign out from Microsoft Teams.
Open your Windows computer File Explorer (by hitting the Windows key + E).
Navigate to the Teams default image backgrounds directory: C:\Users\ <enter_your_windows_your_user_name> \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds
Open the Uploads folder and place the image you want within it.
Optionally, you can make a copy of the Backgrounds folder as a backup or pin the Uploads folder to Quick access.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@GabrielFranco

best response confirmed by Ric Harris (Microsoft)
Solution

@Suleman_Yakubu 

This folder is used by the older version of Teams, and the folder you mentioned is the same one I talked about - %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams.

The new Teams version has moved this folder, and while searching on my device, I found the images at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Backgrounds\Uploads."

Tks!

@GabrielFranco 

Yes I found the folder.

But I copy the files like in "old" Teams and the Images where not visible in Teams. Have you any Ides ?

Joerg

You need to rename the images to UIDs and also add thumbnail images. In this blog article you'll find a PoSh script to da that: https://smbtothecloud.com/deploy-custom-backgrounds-to-new-teams-with-remediations/ After that, put the images in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Backgrounds\Uploads".
Some additional info, specifically answering the OP's question of where the Classic Teams backgrounds went. In my case, they did not get copied to the New Teams location mentioned above. However, as soon as I toggled the switch in New Teams to go back to Classic, the \Backgrounds\ folder was re-created in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams, and it included all of the custom uploads, allowing me to copy those out. At least you could manually add those as backgrounds in New Teams (one by one) if you didn't want to use the fancy UUID automation--though that is a very useful link!
This is where the folder is.
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams
This is where the Background folder is for the Microsoft Teams New.
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams

Hello, and would it be possible to apply via gpo, as it was before? Because I added the file after the UUID was created, but it doesn't copy via gpo, is there any option? Thanks

There are a lot of answers on where to find "my" background uploads, but where are the Teams standard/default backgrounds stored.  (I am using the new teams on windows 10)

Dear all,

I need to know from where these team background images are loading .Once i click its downloading from cloud and saving in background folder. But if i did not click download then i cannot see in background folder. I want to block users in downloading new images and remove all the defaults suggestions background .
Can any one have idea? how to achieve this?

How does this get done on a Macintosh compouter?

@Suleman_Yakubu 

the real MVP comment here, thanks for the helpful blogpost.

Further to @AdminOnCloud9 excellent post, if you want to add your own animated backgrounds (aka video!) then you can't at the moment (Feb 2024) but there is a workaround:

1. Enter a meeting and change your background to each of the available built-in animated backgrounds, this downloads them all and 'registers' them in the app.
  2. Browse to the New Teams background folder [%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Backgrounds], note that there are .mp4 files for each of the animated backgrounds downloaded above.
  3. Copy your own video to the same folder.
  4. Rename/delete one of the animated backgrounds and rename your video to it e.g. My-Video.mp4 > feelingDreamy2Animated_v=0.1.mp4

Now whenever you select the associated built-in animated background, your video will play instead.

Hope this helps.

It's very annoying that Microsoft didn't use the background folder from the "old" version of Teams when switching to the "New Teams".   

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ric Harris (Microsoft)
Solution

@Suleman_Yakubu 

This folder is used by the older version of Teams, and the folder you mentioned is the same one I talked about - %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams.

The new Teams version has moved this folder, and while searching on my device, I found the images at %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Backgrounds\Uploads."

Tks!

View solution in original post